Question

dolphinme

Should I use a comp called Consumer Credit Card Relief to help me pay off my cc debt?
A company just called me. Said they were a law firm and would cut my debt in half. Is this helpful to rid myself of debt and raise my credit score? they said they would close the cards. I have had late payments and am now trying to dig myself out of a hole and rebuild my credit, so, is this a smart choice? Or, is there a better company out there? Or is this "settling" with the cc comps something I should do on my own with each company? Im talking about 15grand in credit cards and then a huge amount of student loans. Any guidance would be much appreciated! Thank you in advance!

Adding to the excellent answer above.

Law firms cannot solicit clients.  While a law firm may be useful in defending against debt collection (noting, again, that student loans are non-dischargable) if a caller says he's from a law firm the odds are much higher that he is lying than that he is telling the truth. Much.  If they start out with a lie to their customer...

Most Helpful Response

They called you?  I'd be suspicious.  Personally, I don't l'ike any so-called credit repair companies because too many of them are a rip-off, charging you money and doing little, if anything towards paying off your bills.  And I certainly would not trust them to pay student loans!!  Student loans are collectable until paid in full, no matter hoiw long it takes.  They are not dischargable in bankruptcy and do not fall off after a period of time like other debts do.  Contact your student loan servicer to see what assistance they can provide. Search for Dave Ramsey's site so you can learn how to pay off debts more effectively. 

I strongly suggest you read the articles on this site right away since teaching about credit, hiow it works and how to build a good credit score is what Credit Karma is here for.  I learned a lot that helped me.