Question

krazychic1117

Pay for Delete Response from Creditor..Now What?
So I sent a Pay for Delete letter to a creditor. In my letter I stated numerous times that I was not acknowledging the debt and I also stated that I was disputing the debt and I was unaware of the account. I did state that in order to quickly resolve the matter I would be willing to pay the full amount if it was deleted from my credit report.

I got a response in the mail today and now I'm worried that I did more damage by sending the letter. This is the letter I received back. I am XX'ing out all the specific names.

"Please be advised that we have been authorized but our client, XXX, to accept XXX as payment in full on the above account. Payment is due before September 30th 2014. your commitment to pay the amount stated above is in fact a "promise to pay" creating a binding contract between yourself and XXX. Upon clearance of your payment we will close out your account. Of course, should it be necessary, we will take appropriate steps to update credit reporting for this account."

So here is my question. Did my letter to them 'start the clock' over again on this debt? I'm worried that its going to start over again first of all. Second of all what should be my next steps? Should I respond to their letter? I'm not sure what I should do next. If I pay it and it stays on my credit I know that it will not help me at all. This debt is less than 500 dollars and I'd pay it tomorrow if they'd just agree to delete it but I'm not paying them a dime if they aren't going to remove it. Any suggestions/advice would be GREATLY appreciated.

Smh! Anytime you are "not" going to pay a debt, NEVER send in any type of letter negotiating your debt. How are you not acknowledging the debt but, negotiating a repayment at the same time???? Research your state's statutes of limitations, you have started the clock all over again. Also they are not agreeing to remove the debt once you pay for it, they are stating that the debt will be closed. Never dispute with a creditor, always with the credit bureaus. Unless it is the first time they have sent you a letter trying to get to know you to let you know that they have just obtained your debt from the original creditor, then you have 30 days to say that you beleive the debt is not yours.If the bureaus will not remove it once you write them a letter, then pay it off as a settlement and be done with it.......