Newly Available Direct App for Discover Secure Card What a Pain
This card is now available to apply for directly and I gotta say for a secured card, the process has been a pain in the rear. I make a fairly decent income, I do have a couple of other credit cards (some secured which I got to improve credit, since then got a couple that are not secured), have an established credit history, own my home. In the past, I applied for Discover and was declined. When I found you could apply for the secure card directly, I decided to go for it. I did the application online, it immediately asks you for your checking account (which has to be in your name), I completed all the info and submit. I then receive message onscreen telling me that Discover is going to do two "trial deposits" for less than $1 to my account to confirm it is my account. I am supposed to login back into a link sent to me and input what the amount of the deposits are, this is supposed to be considered "confirming" I own the checking account. Additionally, the onscreen message tells me that I need upload something confirming my address, e.g. DL, state ID, utility bill. AND I need to upload proof of my SS#, e.g. copy of SScard, W2, etc. I gotta tell you, for a secure card that reports as secured, I do not find that it is worth it. I am already forking over my cash to FUND the card, so it is not like they are taking any type of financial risk here. To see what would happen, I did upload the requested info and trial deposits took around 24 hours to appear in my account and another 24 for them to reverse the trial deposits. After doing all of this, I still have no idea what the deal is. Wells Fargo was far less painful, I opened an account online, completed app online, funded the account and voila! Done and not reporting as a secured card. At this point, I do not think I even want the DISC card anymore. Quite a process for someone to go through just to voluntarily give them some money that they will hold in jail as collateral. While I think the regular DISC cards are pretty good, they really need to get the process a bit more streamlined for the secure one especially since people are giving them money to hold and that means no risk for them. I believe I had to go through this process due to address changes, but still. WOW.