Question

jdubby12

Need help dealing with a medical bill in collections? Unique circumstance...
I went to the hospital back in August 2014. I gave the receptionist my insurance card when asked and after she typed something in the computer (what I assumed to be my insurance info), I was handed my card back and was told to have a seat and wait. I was under the impression that I wouldn't be out of pocket as my insurance covers these costs.

Fast forward to July 2016 when I first got my credit karma account. I see that I have a bill in collections for the amount dating back to August 2014. I never received any bills or calls from either the hospital or collection agency. I called the hospital looking for some explanation and was told that insurance wasn't billed "for some reason" but that I would now have to deal with the collection agency as it was out of the hospital's hands. After weeks of back and forth calling, I was able to get my insurance on a 3 way call with the collection agency to verify that my plan has a 24 month timely filing period from the date of service. After much more haggling and back and forth calls, I get the collection agency to fax over the original bill to my insurance so that they can pay it.

I am currently still waiting for BCBS to start processing the claim but I was told by Central Financial Control, the collection agency, that the item would in fact not be removed from the credit report. Is there any sort of recourse I have? Being a 21 year old with no credit cards or loans of any kind, this has really hurt my score and has tanked it down to 517. I am livid about this and no one wants to accept fault here. I am glad my insurance is going to pay it, but I will be left with a $149 copay which I have no problem paying. I wont pay this, however, if the item won't be removed from the credit report.

Aside from contacting an attorney (I don't have the money), what can I do to have this removed from my credit report so that all 3 credit reporting agencies stop seeing this "debt"? Thank you

Most Helpful Response

Normally when comes to medical collections, I would first suggest people contact original creditor to see if they are willing to recall the collection and you/insurance pay directly to them. But they already said you need to deal with collection agency so that goes out of window. However, I still would try someone higher up in hospital's administrative staff to see what if anything they can do....you can file a complaint with Consumer Financial Protection Bureau and perhaps your State/local BBB... You can also try googling "whychat HIPPA" process to get paid medical collection removed.

The only advice I can give is to contact an attorney. If wrongdoing was done and you have grounds to sue, most attorneys will not charge you anything up front and would take their cut upon settling the case. Look for a consumer law attorney that practices in your state. Look for FDCPA law firms. FDCPA stands for "fair debt collection practices act".