Question

topcat33

My wife and I have the same letter scores, share accounts, but have different scores?
My wife and I are both retired. We share more than half our accounts (they are joint). Our letter grades for Credit report are A A A B C B. My overall letter is A and my score is 756. Her overall grade is C and her score is 678. Mine has been consistently A when my utilization varies slightly (1% to 5%) hers has been consistently C when her utilization varies about the same. Looks like the score process uses "hidden" information. Our credit reports aren't exactly the same, but they are more similar than the overall grades indicate. There is nothing in my wife's credit report that makes her a greater risk for paying debt than there is risk for me paying back (mostly) the same debt. Why is this?

Hi topcat33, 

I think I can clear up some confusion for you! Your credit score is calculated by TransUnion using a complex formula and all of the data on your credit report. The Credit Report Card is a comparison metric developed by Credit Karma to let members know how they can improve their overall credit health. The Credit Report Card does not affect the score, though they are typically correlated. The overall grade is not an average of the Credit Report Card components, but a reflection of the actual score. It is the differences between your report and your wife's report that account for the variation in your credit scores.