Question

FAMBO

Medical Bills - are medical bills that are disputed and, therfore, unpaid, affect my credit
I have a primary and a secondary health insurance. Prior to a MRI, my orthopedic facility requested approval from my primary health insurance but, unbeknownst to me, never requested authorization from the secondary insurance. When I arrived for my MRI, the orthopedic facility stated that all was good with the insurance. After the procedure, my secondary health insurance refuses to pay the remaining portion of the bill because it stated that they were never advised of the MRI. Now the secondary insurance company is seeking payment and has contacted a debt collection agency to collect payment. Will this affect my credit score?

Most Helpful Response

I hope this answers your question!!!

Yes it will affect your credit score. You have to find out how many outstanding balances you have and make a written deal with the collection agency in charged,  that once you pay this balance they will not report you to any of the credit bureaus. If you dont do this and you pay the balance and it happens to be reported, it will show on your report and negatively impact your credit score; even if its later removed the damage will have already been done. Now if you don't plan to pay this balance and or it has been over 3 years since this occured, I will suggest to leave it alone because paying anything will lower your score even further. Again the only way to get out of it is by making a deal with the debt collection agency and they ain't working on your behalf, all they want is your money; they don't care about you or if you're in financial distress all they care is how much money they'll be able to get out of you before the debt is sold to someone else. Also it will be a good idea to check on the statue of limitations law in the state you live in, that will kinda give you an idea when the debt will fall off your credit by default if you dont pay it. One thing to keep in mind is that after a while you can file an online investigation with all 3 credit bureaus and potentially have any negative items removed if its not resolved within the time stablish by federal law under the Fair Credit Reporting Act. Good luck to you and hope things go well!!!!