Leave an old bill to age out of collections, or fight it?
I have a medical bill dogging me in collections, negatively impacting my credit score. The bill is from a very sketchy medical clinic I went to once years ago that fraudulently charged me for work they never performed. I argued the bill at the time, I thought it was resolved, and two years later it showed up on my credit report. I talked to the collection agency about the fact that I dispute the bill, and they told me I would need to go back to the clinic and get full copies of my medical records to start a legal case - well I already tried that years ago when this all first happened, and the clinic refuses to give the records to me.

So, I am trying to decide whether it is more effective to let this instance age off my report or to put the effort into fighting it legally.

The original date of "service" / date of the debt was a little over 5 years ago. It was first reported to collections and the credit agencies about 3 years ago.

I am a disabled single mom and don't have the extra money to find a big legal campaign, or I would have taken them to small claims court long ago and settled this.