Question

Cryolysis

Late Collection Without a Notice (TMOBILE)?
So, apparently in 2009, I had a TMOBILE account known as "Flex Pay". To my knowledge, it was closed on good terms with a representative because I had connection issues with both the phone calls and internet with my phone and they were unwilling to provide to me a new phone.

Mysteriously, as of October 2014, a collection showed up in my account for 200 dollars, which indicates that they are asking for an ETF (Early Termination Fee). During that time, I was closing my latest TMOBILE account because I tried them again due to their good prices, but got fooled by the same problems in my area.

I never received any notice about the collection, otherwise I would have taken care of it. Is there anything I can do now? Is that even possible, to get a collection notice from an account that was closed years ago?

Write a Validation letter.

Google it for a template and more info. 

Very often, especially with service companies and phone companies in particular, what they tell you on the phone is not what they put in the notes on their end. ALWAYS get them to send you a confirmation letter outlining any terms of the cancelation. Specially when your asking them to reduce or remove charges from the final bill. Particularly important if you are moving to have it mailed to the new address or better yet emailed to you.  

Writting a validation letter will cause the CRA to verify if the account.  In your letter outline what your understanding of the agreement was when you canceled the account. Mail these letters to at least 1of the CRA's.  A lot of these accounts are sold off to collection agencies in lots. And many will just go away. If the account is validated then pay it get it off your report ASAP 

I'm in the same boat

I closed my account with them in 2009 or 2010 and as far as I know, in good standings. I spoke to the representative in person and cancelled it immediatley after my contract ended and I thought that was that. I even asked them to make sure. Now, without ever a notice or a phone call I find that it's in collections. I did everything right!