How to remove a negative when the creditor requested the removal and the reporting agency refuses?
I usually pay my balances at the end of their billing cycle. One month, my KOHLS bill was like $400.97. I was away from home when I set up my banking bill pay and couldn’t remember the exact total, so I paid $400.00. The following month I knew that I hadn’t made any charges and I had forgot the $.97 that had remained from the previous billing. I shredded the bill and went happily on my way. The next month I felt I didn’t need to open the bill …. I hadn’t charged anything there ! So I shredded it as well. So forth and so on….. until I get the shocking ‘collection letter’!!! I paid the accumulated bill and figured ‘lesson learned’. NOPE !! Then I see the ‘Delinquent Account’ hit on my credit score !! I am shocked and call KOHLS. A supervisor there looks at my account history and sees that my story jives and makes the exception to send the request to remove the negative.
A month or so later I get a letter from the CR agency REFUSING to remove the ‘Delinquent Account’ reporting !! They claimed that they report what was told them and they didn’t have the ability to keep up with all the requests for changes. I called to ask about appealing it but was told it wouldn’t do any good.
Where do I go from here?

The credit bureaus can only report what the data furnisher (the collection company/Kohls) provides them, the credit bureaus don't decide yes or no on deleting an account.  So, you need to get the collection company/Kohls to send you a letter stating they agreed to delete the account or the negative data, then send that to the credit bureaus.

Its an uphill battle.

File a personal statement on your credit reports.  You could copy and paste what you wrote here.  Then at least if you do apply for credit, they might look closer at the negitive remarks and discount that information if your statement explains what happened and why.  

That is, if a human is involved in the decission making.  Online credit application, it may not help.

Follow with written requests to the CRA's quarterly. Squeeky wheel gets the grease.