Question

lg515

How to have collection accounts removed?
My husband has 3 accounts in collections. One paid in full and closed. Another from a cell phone bill for $109, and another through a different collection agency for the same cell bill and the same amount. Both of these accounts are shown as open.
The cell phone account was opened (according to the info on creditkarma) April 28, 2008. Report date is June 3, 2008. I assume that is when the late payment was reported. He did indeed have this account.
The other account says it was opened June 23, 2013. I'm assuming that this is when they purchased the account since he did not open another account with them. The report date is July 24, 2013.

I'm looking for the best way to go about having these removed, if possible. I've read about sending a letter to the collector asking them to remove the account from the report once it is paid in full. Since both accounts only total $218, it's not that big of a deal to pay it. How likely is it that they will agree to that? If we do pay them off, could they start the 7 years +180 days over before it will be removed? Is it legal for them to have two accounts open in collections for the same original debt? I have also read about sending a letter for validation of the debt. The original creditor, the cell phone company, is actually closing now. Would it be more likely that they don't have the information needed to keep reporting it?

Thanks in advance for any responses!