Credit Advice

Have a question? Have advice to share? The combined knowledge and experience of everyone in the Credit Karma community can help you. Enter your question or help others below to get started!


Posted in Credit Karma
Profile Image

Question By

0 Contributions
0 People Helped
HELP! I owe an apartment complex 2300 and need advice! Please!
I received a phone call from a collection agency last night stating I owe an apartment complex 2300 from 2013. I know this to be true, my husband and I could not afford the apartment anymore due to health issues. This is the first time they have made any kind of contact with me about this debt. I was told that if i did not pay the amount either in full or by payments i would be sued and have my wadges garnished. Everywhere i read most say with such a low balance owed that they are most likley bluffing because it is costly to do that , but i am not so sure?? HELP!

Your Credit Scores Should Be Free. And Now They Are.

View your scores and reports anytime.

All Responses

Results 1-2 of 2Results per page: 5 | 10 | 25Page 1 of 1   Previous | Next
Top Contributor
1279 Contributions
371 People Helped

Helpful to 1 out of 1 people

It's possible they're bluffing but since you acknowledge the debt, talk to the collection agency and see if you can work out a payment plan. Agencies just want their money and generally don't like going to court. It wastes time and money. One of my friends had/has massive medical bills after her husband died. Social Security cannot be garnished.  She has no other income. They talked her, and she told them she could only afford $10 a month. They agreed, and that's what she pays them on time every month. 

Sometimes they'll reduce the amount owed if you pay a lump sum.  If you're able to do this, be sure you get a letter from them stating the terms to reduce the amount owed on your credit report, and state paid as agreed.

Top Contributor
7816 Contributions
1500 People Helped

Helpful to 0 out of 1 people

Per FDCPA (fair debt collection practices act) regulations, collection companies are NOT ALLOWED to make threats of suing unless they plan to do so. I would contact a consumer law attorney that practices in your state and tell them what is going on. Keep all correspondence from this collection company. I DO NOT advise that you contact the collection company, unless you have the means to pay the account off at once. Many FDCPA attornies will give free consults and will work on contingency if they file a lawsuit on the collector. I highly recommend Kimmel & Silverman if they practice in your state. If they don't, a google search should help you locate a firm that does.

Results 1-2 of 2Results per page: 5 | 10 | 25Page 1 of 1   Previous | Next

Your Credit Scores Should Be Free. And Now They Are.

View your scores and reports anytime.


Reply to this Question

Write your response:
Enter Your Comments

The Credit Advice pages of the Site may contain messages submitted by users over whom Credit Karma has no control. Credit Karma cannot guarantee the accuracy, integrity or quality of any such messages. Some users may post messages that are misleading, untrue or offensive. You must bear all risk associated with your use of the Credit Advice pages and should not rely on messages in making (or refraining from making) any specific financial or other decisions.