Question

loukyma91

HELP! I owe an apartment complex 2300 and need advice! Please!
I received a phone call from a collection agency last night stating I owe an apartment complex 2300 from 2013. I know this to be true, my husband and I could not afford the apartment anymore due to health issues. This is the first time they have made any kind of contact with me about this debt. I was told that if i did not pay the amount either in full or by payments i would be sued and have my wadges garnished. Everywhere i read most say with such a low balance owed that they are most likley bluffing because it is costly to do that , but i am not so sure?? HELP!

It's possible they're bluffing but since you acknowledge the debt, talk to the collection agency and see if you can work out a payment plan. Agencies just want their money and generally don't like going to court. It wastes time and money. One of my friends had/has massive medical bills after her husband died. Social Security cannot be garnished.  She has no other income. They talked her, and she told them she could only afford $10 a month. They agreed, and that's what she pays them on time every month. 

Sometimes they'll reduce the amount owed if you pay a lump sum.  If you're able to do this, be sure you get a letter from them stating the terms to reduce the amount owed on your credit report, and state paid as agreed.

Per FDCPA (fair debt collection practices act) regulations, collection companies are NOT ALLOWED to make threats of suing unless they plan to do so. I would contact a consumer law attorney that practices in your state and tell them what is going on. Keep all correspondence from this collection company. I DO NOT advise that you contact the collection company, unless you have the means to pay the account off at once. Many FDCPA attornies will give free consults and will work on contingency if they file a lawsuit on the collector. I highly recommend Kimmel & Silverman if they practice in your state. If they don't, a google search should help you locate a firm that does.