Help? I am a co-signer on student loans
I have co-signed for both of my childrens student loans. I also have one parent plus loan for college expenses. I need help being a co-signer is killing my score.

wkbuckle

Unfortunate situation

I have cosigned for loans on all 3 of my children's college, as well as taking out a few plus loan.s   Government loans simply were not enough and they needed private.  While one has been paying for 2.5 years; one begins in 2 months and the youngest is in school...ALL show on my credit. 

Up side is credit report DOES show me as cosigner and not primary but yes, it is on my report and affects my income to debt ratio. 

Most private loans permit cosigner release BUT only after 2-4 years of on time payments AND IF the primary had a good income-debt ratio.  My eldest does not make enough so despite the 2.5 years of on time payments, they will not remove my name from loans.  Lenders do not care.  They want to ensure they get their money.   If you cannot get your name removed as cosigner, the only upside is that regular payments do show as a positive on your credit.  Downside is that they show as outstanding. 

Unless the government steps in regarding the massive student debt situation (now exceeds a trillion and first time ever it exceeds credit card debit), parents like us (and there are many) are stuck.  At this rate, my name will be on student loans until I am 80 or dead. 

Wish I had some answers but we are stuck big time.  Back when all this began, banking was different, we were encouraged to take out loans to aid kids.  NOW they say never ever.  Ah well....

Response by
johnherriges

Submit to the Community