Garnishment from a hospital debt 11 years ago. Can they really come after me now?
In may I received a letter in mail that looked like a bill! And of course those famous words of debt and collection. I was going to throw it away because it didnt say what, where, when, this so called debt I owe was about. But the thing that scared me was it listed my place of employment vs. Me!!! I was freaking out! Lol So I called tje numner it was a law firm and this debt is from 2004 when I went to the emergency room. i had insurance at the time so I figured i would recieve a bill in mail. Well I did move a few times but still in the same state and never heard anything until now. They said they served me papers in 2004 which I know darn well they didnt. Made a payment arrangement with then but didnt send any payment because i wanted to do some research on this first. Well the lady i talked to first and made arrangements with she dont work there no more so now this law firm issued for me to get my wages garnished. To me this whole thing sounds fishy and its not even on my record of any sort! What do I do?

It sounds fishy to me as well. NEVER make payment arrangement with a debt collector on the phone or admit to a debt when they contact you. There is a possibility that you can reset the statute of limitations to be sued for a debt when you do this. I doubt any harm was done here by you doing this, but it is possible. Ask yourself this: why would your place of employment be suing you for an unpaid medical debt? They wouldn't, so that should throw a huge red flag right there about this letter. People cannot just garnish your wages, they have to have a court judgement to do so, so a court name should be on the document and if there is, contact the courthouse to see if they have any record of anything. Save this letter that you recieved from them and contact a law firm that handles FDCPA cases. (fair debt collection practices act). If this is a debt collector rather than a scammer you will probably be able to sue them for violating the FDCPA. Many FDCPA attorneys will work on contingency, costing you nothing up front. Kimmel and Silverman is a firm that I personally recommend if they practice in your state. If you come to find out that this is just a scammer rather than a rogue debt collector, report the scammer to the authorities (police, attorney general, etc.) Act on this right away and get to the bottom of it.