Dispute fraudulent account myself through the credit bureaus, or let Verizon Wireless handle it?
So I figured getting married and having a kid means no more messing around I need to clean up anything I was letting go "on principle" in regards to my credit.

So I signed up for CreditKarma, Freecreditreport, opened a secured card, etc. while looking through my account history and negative marks I found a Verizon Wireless (henceforce VZW) Account that I never opened. This person opened it in my name and then never paid the bill, VZW let the bills run for about a year and a half before shutting down the account! I called VZW's Fraud department who were apologetic and advised me to file a police report and then give them the police report and they will take care of it from their end with the credit bureaus.

To my question; Do I trust VZW to properly remove this from my account? Or do I file the police report and then dispute it directly through the credit bureaus?

My concern is that VZW might remove it but not in a way that benefits me. On the flip side, perhaps them removing it would be better than disputing it directly as they are the creditor? Hoping for someone with experience or an expert in the matter can help me here.

First post to creditkarma forums so apologies if I mislabeled or violated any rules inadvertently. Thank you in advance for any time and attention in this matter

Being the crotchety cynical old woman I am, I tend to not trust businesses to do what they say they are going to do. I would file a dispute directly with the credit bureaus. The bureaus will investigate, and the good thing is VZW has a heads-up on the situation already so perhaps it will be resolved that much faster. in any case, VZW doesn't have the same motivation you do to get your credit cleaned up, so I wouldn't expect them to make it a priority. 

Is VZW still own the debt or its been sold to collection agency?

I would do exactly what they advised you, file a police report and get a affidavit from FTC site. Dispute it thru CRA "might" only  get it removed from your report, but it dosent releasing you from the liability of that debt. Keep in mind that someone opened it in "your name" and with your informations, unless VZW have some type of proof that it isn't you opened that account? They will continue pin it on you and might take further actions. If by simply saying "it isn't mine" would get you off the hook? Then we will all have clean credit reports.

I would do both. Do what Verizon told you to do and also dispute the account with the credit bureaus in case they forget to. Run into any problems with this, consult with a consumer law attorney.