Credit Advice

Have a question? Have advice to share? The combined knowledge and experience of everyone in the Credit Karma community can help you. Enter your question or help others below to get started!


Posted in Credit Report
Profile Image

Question By

0 Contributions
0 People Helped
Dispute fraudulent account myself through the credit bureaus, or let Verizon Wireless handle it?
So I figured getting married and having a kid means no more messing around I need to clean up anything I was letting go "on principle" in regards to my credit.

So I signed up for CreditKarma, Freecreditreport, opened a secured card, etc. while looking through my account history and negative marks I found a Verizon Wireless (henceforce VZW) Account that I never opened. This person opened it in my name and then never paid the bill, VZW let the bills run for about a year and a half before shutting down the account! I called VZW's Fraud department who were apologetic and advised me to file a police report and then give them the police report and they will take care of it from their end with the credit bureaus.

To my question; Do I trust VZW to properly remove this from my account? Or do I file the police report and then dispute it directly through the credit bureaus?

My concern is that VZW might remove it but not in a way that benefits me. On the flip side, perhaps them removing it would be better than disputing it directly as they are the creditor? Hoping for someone with experience or an expert in the matter can help me here.

First post to creditkarma forums so apologies if I mislabeled or violated any rules inadvertently. Thank you in advance for any time and attention in this matter

Your Credit Scores Should Be Free. And Now They Are.

View your scores and reports anytime.

All Responses

Results 1-3 of 3Results per page: 5 | 10 | 25Page 1 of 1   Previous | Next
Top Contributor
1702 Contributions
1898 People Helped

Helpful to 1 out of 1 people

Is VZW still own the debt or its been sold to collection agency?


I would do exactly what they advised you, file a police report and get a affidavit from FTC site. Dispute it thru CRA "might" only  get it removed from your report, but it dosent releasing you from the liability of that debt. Keep in mind that someone opened it in "your name" and with your informations, unless VZW have some type of proof that it isn't you opened that account? They will continue pin it on you and might take further actions. If by simply saying "it isn't mine" would get you off the hook? Then we will all have clean credit reports.

Top Contributor
270 Contributions
165 People Helped

Being the crotchety cynical old woman I am, I tend to not trust businesses to do what they say they are going to do. I would file a dispute directly with the credit bureaus. The bureaus will investigate, and the good thing is VZW has a heads-up on the situation already so perhaps it will be resolved that much faster. in any case, VZW doesn't have the same motivation you do to get your credit cleaned up, so I wouldn't expect them to make it a priority. 

Top Contributor
7816 Contributions
1508 People Helped

I would do both. Do what Verizon told you to do and also dispute the account with the credit bureaus in case they forget to. Run into any problems with this, consult with a consumer law attorney.

Results 1-3 of 3Results per page: 5 | 10 | 25Page 1 of 1   Previous | Next

Your Credit Scores Should Be Free. And Now They Are.

View your scores and reports anytime.


Reply to this Question

Write your response:
Enter Your Comments

The Credit Advice pages of the Site may contain messages submitted by users over whom Credit Karma has no control. Credit Karma cannot guarantee the accuracy, integrity or quality of any such messages. Some users may post messages that are misleading, untrue or offensive. You must bear all risk associated with your use of the Credit Advice pages and should not rely on messages in making (or refraining from making) any specific financial or other decisions.