Credit Advice

Have a question? Have advice to share? The combined knowledge and experience of everyone in the Credit Karma community can help you. Enter your question or help others below to get started!


Posted in Paying Your Bills
Profile Image

Question By

3 Contributions
2 People Helped
Directv collection notice after 6 years
In 2009 I had a account with Directv. Today I received a collection notice in the amount of roughly $600. Question I have is I live in NY. Can this collection company report this to credit bureau because account is 3 months short of being 6 years old. Any advice?

Your Credit Scores Should Be Free. And Now They Are.

View your scores and reports anytime.

All Responses

Result 1-1 of 1Results per page: 5 | 10 | 25Page 1 of 1   Previous | Next
Top Contributor
2207 Contributions
3947 People Helped

Its their last ditch effort to collect

You could first file a dispute with the Credit Bureaus and see if that makes it go away.  

To be real, You do seem aware of the accounts existance so You could ride it out and make no contact with them or any collection agency concerning the account until the Limit on the account expires.  Be aware that they might sell the account off right before it expires and then a new collection acount for it may pop up. Either way, if any thing on this account does pop up on your report after the limitations be sure to dispute the account through a Credit Bureau.  never contact them directly.  

your other option, If you don't want to take the hit on your credit report, would be to negotiage the pay off down.  They might settle for as little as 20% but realisticly it could be as much as 50%.  If your going to negotiate, be prepared to have to pay right away, but don't pay anything until you have the final agreement in writting Always contact them by mail only.  You want a paper trail when negotiating with any collection agency.  On the phone, They may try to trick you into thinking your agreeing to pay off of $100, and actually be trying to get you to agree to a monthly payment of $100.  They are professionals at collecting money in a way the benifits their bottom line not yours.  And they never make notes on their end so the next time you call about the account, no one knows what your talking about. You still owe the full amount.  

in writing you want to:  Ask them to only contact you by mail,  Make an offer to settle the account for XXX dollars. (start at about 20% of the amount owed)   Ask them to reply with The final agreed amount for the account to be paid in full and the date by which it has to be paid.   You'll also want  An agreement that they will accept a "Pay for Delete" meaning that they will remove the negitive remarks from the account.  

Find some templates and more info for these kinds of letters on line.  Google it.  "Pay and compromise"  "Pay for Delete" 

Good luck 

Result 1-1 of 1Results per page: 5 | 10 | 25Page 1 of 1   Previous | Next

Your Credit Scores Should Be Free. And Now They Are.

View your scores and reports anytime.


Reply to this Question

Write your response:
Enter Your Comments

The Credit Advice pages of the Site may contain messages submitted by users over whom Credit Karma has no control. Credit Karma cannot guarantee the accuracy, integrity or quality of any such messages. Some users may post messages that are misleading, untrue or offensive. You must bear all risk associated with your use of the Credit Advice pages and should not rely on messages in making (or refraining from making) any specific financial or other decisions.