Question

AquarianDivaQ

Convergent Collection Agency Update: Scam or Not?
I recently received a letter from this collection agency to settle my account with T-Mobile (yes, it was my debt). I defaulted because of the horrible connectivity and it not being reliable. BEFORE I did my research on this agency and discovered that there were fraudulent letters in circulation, I had ALREADY mailed out my settlement payment. Can you say nervous?!?!?!?
Looking here, I saw that there were others with T-Mobile accounts so I took the liberty to reach out to T-Mobile directly to find out 1) if they were showing a balance for me and, if so, the amount and 2) the name of the collection agency that they were contracted with. What I was told was that my account was now showing SETTLED IN FULL (sigh of relief) and they informed me that Convergent Solutions @ 800-855-871-1088 was who they used. I called this # to request a letter to show that the account had been paid in full. Since this was not the office that held my account, she directed me to Convergent Outsourcing (the agency actually listed on the collection notice) @ 866-291-6964 who is housed out of Texas. I spoke to a couple of representatives who asked for my address and SSN to validate me (which a lot of companies do) and was finally told that my account was completely paid off and though I requested this letter 2 weeks ago, the department responsible for issuing those was backed up. They did, however, offer to email one to me that could possibly take 4 days for me to receive (which I thought was strange since this is an electronic process and designed to get information to the recipient quickly) and also directed me to a website where I could access this information as well showing that I had a $0 balance. The website, which I logged into while I had the rep on the phone to make sure I didn't have any issues, only showed that the collection had been "recalled" and was at a $0 balance BUT did not indicate what I expected to see which was "settled" or "paid". Maybe this would suffice if you need the information like yesterday.

To my surprise, I received the letter within 30 minutes of me calling, everything was correct and I had the information I needed. My advice: if something is on your credit report and you do recognize it and the information for the debt collector matches what is on Credit Karma's website, then it is most likely LEGIT. But do, do your homework. I don't know anyone who has money to just throw away. I lucked up this time and am thankful that it wasn't a scam.