Question

JENANDRA

Consolidating A Student Loan That Has Gone Into Default
I am about to consolidate my student loans which went into default some time ago (the rehabilitation program is not an option for me). After I make 3 timely monthly payment the loans will show as "Paid In Full" however the negative marks of previously being in default will still show. I have heard varying answers about how long the negative marks will show on my credit report.

I am considering consolidation because of something I noticed on my credit report. It show next to each of my student loans that they are "estimated to drop off" in November 2014. That would make it 7- 7.5 years since these loans were not paid on. I am wondering if choose to go through with consolidating will the 7 year rule still apply OR will it now restart from my consolidation or "Paid In Full" date?

Any insight on this will be very helpful. Thank you!