Collections Agency refuses to validate debt properly, what now?
Good Evening,

I currently have a collections on my report however there are some major problems about it.

1.) I never received any form of written acknowledgment of pursuing the debt.
2.) When asked to do the following:

- What the money you say I owe is for;
- Explain and show me how you calculated what you say I owe;
- Provide me with copies of any papers that show I agreed to pay what you say I owe;
- Provide a verification or copy of any judgment if applicable;
- Identify the original creditor;
- Prove the Statute of Limitations has not expired on this account;
- Show me that you are licensed to collect in my state; and
- Provide me with your license numbers and Registered Agent.
- Provide proof of receipt of the initial written notification of the debt

In response I received a blank document with no signatures or agreement from me about the debt, in fact my name is only on it once, on the very last page typed. I did not receive the majority of the information I asked for.

Now they are stating I must contact the original debtor while refusing to supply sufficient evidence of validation.

What should I do now? They have illegally marked me credit without a written notification as well as many other items.

Any advise would be greatly appreciated.

Most Helpful Response

Take the info they provided,

Consumer Protection Agency, Federal Trade Comission, State Consumer protection agencies, 

Take the info they provided,  Make copies and file a complaint with the FTC.  They obviously can't or won't provide the info required by law.  The FTC is the enforcement branch on that law.  You can also file  complaints in the states in which you live and in which they do business.  Do all this complaining in writting and be sure to send it Return Reciept, Signature Required.  

If they act like they don't have play by rules, Then you should make them feel the brunt of those rules.  I'd bring down every governing body I could find on them and force them to comply.  You'll be amazed at how things get done when there are a couple of state offices and a couple of federal offices breathing down their necks.   

These agencies are there to help YOU!  use them to your advantage. 

Good Luck

do you know if the collection is actually yours? addresses change, etc, etc, etc. you asked for a lot of information... maybe too much. .maybe if you really want someone to take the 5 minutes to help you, you should just ask where the debt came from. no offense. 

Heaven forbid I ask the collections company to do their job after performing illegal actions?