charge off scheduled to be removed Aug 2015, need advice.
2,141 this is so close to just falling off, but i need to speed up the process, if I dispute could this hurt me, I have several reasons to dispute hoping they will just go ahead and remove.
1. shows open but both others show closed
2. its a charge off so shouldn't state $0 balance?
3. I could tell them to verify dates, because it should have already been removed
4. it shows past due yet both others dont

Most Helpful Response

Hope this helps

Really good questions….. knowing ins and outs of the process will help you the most in the long run.  So the first point to consider is that the item will fall off in August and you can just wait it out. 

However if that’s not fast enough, just understand these points to removing them. 

You can request a validation of the account to all of the credit bureaus AND the collection company, separately, and in writing, to see if the report is in violation of this.  I would suggest looking up a good letter online and tailoring it to meet your criteria.  In your search, Im sure you will find that in most cases, accounts this old, can’t always provide the proper documentation and will be forced to be removed simply as a result of that.  So I ALWAYS include a statement of dispute in my debt validation letters so that my credit is at least noted with that statement while I wait for their reply.  (credit bureaus have 30 days to investigate a written letter and 45 days to investigate an online dispute; but the company reporting you to the bureaus have an indefinite amount of time to reply unless you state the time frame in your validation letter.  30 days is the norm for a company to reply accepted in most courts should you have to go to court for it)

You should also understand that a credit dispute doesn’t extend the time frame from your last payment agreement or payment.  Each state has different laws regarding the statute of limitations, and you may be able to simply request that the company stop reporting a debt that they can’t legally hold you responsible for. 

But also, companies reporting mis-information to the credit bureaus are in violation of FCRA and are subject to fines payable to you directly.  This includes incomplete information being reported to the bureaus; like the charge off report with a balance still being listed or closed accounts that are being reported as open.

It’s both the responsibility of the credit bureaus and the reporting company to ensure that your credit history is being reported correctly.  If it’s not, then there are laws that can help you make them make it right.