Question

lilackz

Can you remove charges from your credit report if you didn't make the charges?
Disclaimer: I'm a 20-year-old college student with only one credit card (that I rarely use) and I've neglected to look into my credit score until now. I know very little about financial planning, which might lead to some confusion on my part if these answers are complicated. Apologies in advance.

Anyway, upon registering with Credit Karma, I found that my credit score is significantly lower than expected. This is because my name was added to my mother's "for emergencies only" credit card many years ago, and she has been racking up a lot of debt. None of the purchases and payments made on that card for the last 5 years have been mine - I didn't even know I was still able to use it.

Is there a way to petition for the removal of some of the charges? I've had my name removed from the card, but my score would be significantly higher if it were actually a reflection of my own credit card use.

Thank you!