Question

lucyinthesky237

Can lawyers/irs or anyone look at what you put for annual income when you apply for a credit card?
My dad asked me to apply for a credit card for him and when I was entering his information I accidentally put in the wrong amount for earned income, by a lot a lot. I was thinking one of the houses we rented was his but it was actually his brothers which I found out afterwards. It was one of those secured ones where whatever you put as your deposit is your credit line (for people with bad credit to help rebuild). It's only for 300$, just want to make sure no one will be able to access the amount entered, like lawyers or anything, to get my dad in trouble, but I also dont want to get in trouble for putting in the wrong info even though it wasn't intentional. Any advice?

Most Helpful Response

If anything? You probably need be more concerned with the credit issuer than third party. Creditors would often time verify the stated income with other sources, if it's dosent match or can't be verified? Then they might ask for supporting docs, it could be simple as pay stubs or more intrusively? Asking for tax returns (4056T), creditors may pass on those info to third parties like LexisNexis... However, since it's only a secured card, it shouldn't be much of issue, at worst and in very unlikelihood, they would close it.

You should be able to go to the the website of the credit card and select the option to update your yearly income.   Information you enter would be available to those who pull reports.   I am not aware of the yearly income being part of the credit file.   As for lawyers or the IRS seeing the amount, it does not show where the income was generated from and as such, wouldn't be legally binding in any fashion.  You are permitted to include additional income (alimoney, child support, spouses income, etc.) in addition to actual income.