Can I dispute a Collection that was listed under me but was being paid for by someone else?
This one's a bit tricky due to the nature of my family:
Years ago when I was attending an online college (ugh), my family agreed to pay the tuition out of pocket, but insisted the accounts still be under me. They refused any and all financial support from the college (fearing student loans to be hiding in any one of them) and paid off my tuition inconsistently (not only constantly requesting changes to payment dates, but also using different cards and checks from different family members). The college, reluctantly, agreed to this method.
After some time, I had dropped out of my classes due to my family being significantly late on two payments (with me not wanting to have it only increase just because the family insisted that I NEEDED to attend classes regardless).

This debt was never paid off by my family, and the main one orchestrating the payments moved to another country without a word.
This leaves all the payment debts under my name.
I only hadn't paid it off myself because
1) Frankly, I couldn't afford it on my sad income
2) I don't believe it's a debt I personally owe, as the payments came from my family, but simply under my name (and no, I wasn't "riding on their wealth", I was harassed by them to attend ANY college before working - this certainly wasn't my choice)

So now I'm stuck with the debt, pushed into collections, and I'm unsure if I can even dispute this. It's under my name, I was the middleman in any and all phone and letter conversations, and I'm not sure if I have any real evidence to take the responsibility off my name.
I know my family's decisions were shady as they came, they've always been this way, but I only agreed to their method because they guaranteed none of it would affect me negatively.
With my credit score hitting a hard low, I certainly know that this is affecting me negatively. Especially since my score will now affect my OWN family's moving options.

Is there any possible way this could be disputed? Or is this simply a problem I'm stuck with?
I'd really rather not take this to courts with my family, as I can't afford a lawyer to face their more experienced ones... Just trying to see if there was a way around it.

The simple answer is, as long as the account was in your name it is your debt and your responsibility.  It would not matter who was paying and in what form they were paying.   You would have no grounds for a dispute for removal.