Question

bushido1519

Building credit for my wife
My wife became a permanent resident last May, and she is an authorized signer in my chase freedom account. We recently moved so our credit history was reviewed. My wife just tried to use creditkarma to find out her score and it's reported that she has a thin file - and the site suggests to open up a secured credit card to initiate credit.

I have excellent credit, mainly because my father put me on as an authorized signer to his AMEX account when I turned 18, and technically, my credit history is as old as his.

Her siblings have opened up secured lines around the same time I added her to my account, and they were able to check their credit scores (in fact, they were the ones who informed me of this awesome site!)

My wife and I are both employed and our total salary is above middle class. Is the more effective way to build her credit is to start with a secured line, or is there anything else more effective?

Thanks much!