Question

xceptional

Applied for card recommended by you but evidently declined?
You recommended I apply for a Discover IT card. I would love to have this card. It looked as if my credit might be good enough to qualify. However, after filling in all required questions, they send back a wait and see for 5 to 7 days. I know what that means------it's a polite denial until they can get their formal letter out saying NO thanks.
Why would you recommend someone to forge ahead with a 697 score and try for a Discover IT card, if you already know they are going to be denied?
I do not understand your thought process on this.
Now I have tried for a Chase Freedom. No decision returned, just a request to call so they can ask more questions. Probably just another dum-downed denial politely until a formal denial letter can be forwarded out.
Why again I ask, do you put people into the position of asking for something they can not qualify for?
Sharon Dagg

Most Helpful Response

This is a member/user message board,  CK does not answer these posts, other people like you do. If you have issues with CK send them an email at Support@creditkarma.com

From my own experience:  All the adverts you see on here from the Credit Card Co's are what pay for this site. They also make the same recomendations for people with really lousy credit so these recomendations aren't relally customized to you, They are the same for everybody.  I have heard over and over the same thing that you have said. being denied for cards that the site recomends and how frustrating it is to be denied.

Personally,  I have never applied for any credit card that sites like these recomend. And I am on several of them.  I have a trick I use when I'm looking for a new line of credit.  Its called "Pre-Approval"  I only apply for credit offers that come to me, pre-approved. And I have never been denied.   The trick is to get them to make the offer to you... 

To do that, "Go Mining".  Thats what I call it,  Mining is looking at the card offers you want on-line. it will work with almost any site that you have to log into and has your mailing information.  Spending time looking at the offers will trigger them.  For example..  I went to my Credit Unions website.  Looked at the Auto loans and played with the calculaters etc.  i spent about 10 mins looking around the site.  then logged off.  less than a week later, a Pre-Approved offer for an $25000. at 2.87% Auto Loan came in mail.   The same type of thing happened when I looked at the Barclay's master card on this site.  I went back to it several times during one visit to this site.  A week later a Pre-Approved offer came in the mail.  It had a better offer than what was offered on the site to boot! 

With a score of 697 you should be able to get new credit unless somethig is  really out of Kilter.  Utilization/income ratio or something along those lines.  Never apply for new credit unless your pretty sure that you are in a good position for approval. 

Helpful Advice

Eddy

Thanks for the advice.  It makes sense.  I will try your recommendations.

Sharon