Question

helenp08

90 Day Late on Student Loan because THEIR SYSTEM Had an Error
I was paying my student loan religiously and one day I pulled my credit only to see a derogatory remark on my student loan. Looked into it further and it showed I was 90 late. I immediately logged on to their website and it showed I had messages waiting there. The last 3 payments that were made were suddenly not being processed and I did not know. After hitting SUBMIT PAYMENT, I don't do anything with this account and nothing changes so payment is really the only action it sees. If the payments were not going through, should I not have been emailed? I had to begin using my ETrade checking account to make the payments. Even 'til today, their system won't accept my Chase checking info (even after 2 years of payment from here) and they can't find the reason and when I called Chase, they said no company has submitted a request so they can't see any errors on their end. This is all fine but after all their system errors, shouldn't the student loan company take responsibility and delete the 90 late status that was reported? I humbly requested it and they said they can't change facts. Ummmmm. How to proceed?

While there may be an error in the processing, the end result is you were responsible for ensuring the payments were made.   When you saw that it was not deducted form your checking account this should have been your early warning sign.   You may want to consider automatic payments so that the checking account sends the payment as opposed to using their site to generate the request.  If you made the request to have it adjusted on their end and they have declined, I doubt any bureau dispute would assist you.   I would eat the loss and wait for the calendar to time itself out.   Payment are normaly viewed over the past 12-24 mounths.  While the report may show 1-90day late, the calendar would show the current status and payments which is what a creditor would check.   You could still file a dispute with the bureau, although you'll need will need to include any email confirmations that the creditor sent you acknowledging the transaction.