582 score...bad debt and terrible budgeting please help!
I am a 25 year old college student and working full time. My credit currently sits at 582, and began once at 701. I have been having problems with credit for 6 years now and I don't understand what I truly need to do to get my credit back on track. I realize that a lot of my problems lie with how I take care of past due accounts and accounts in collections. I dnot want to file for bankruptcy and I don't think I can apply for a consolidation loan. Is my only option credit counseling? My past due accounts don't go higher than $10,000 so I just need to find some way to strategies a good budget. Any help or links can help, thanks!

Most Helpful Response

Trials and tribulations of being young.  Credit feels like free money until it's time to pay the piper and unfortunately many young people fall into the trap and don't wise up until it's too late.  Bottom line, there is no free lunch or easy way out.  I obviously don't know the details of your situation but it sounds like you need to create an austere budget for yourself and live a fairly spartan existence for a while.  At your age you may not have many possessions but what you do have you might have to sell and put the proceeds towards paying off your debt.  Maybe you can find a cheaper apartment or roommate situation and use the rent savings as well. Sometimes creditors will negotiate a settlement if you're really underwater and it looks like the only way for them to salvage the situation.  Since you're a student maybe there is a Student Credit Union at your university that can assist you.  It'll take some work and sacrifice but this too shall pass if you put your mind to it.

I am in such a bad place, im stressed out, feel hopeless and i have no idea how to get out, help!!! i have credit cards in collections, all my current cards are maxed out, living check to check... what do i do. i filed for bankruptcy back in 2009, think i would know better and here i am again. i am feeling depressed, lost and sooo deep in a hole i dont know what to do to get out... any suggestions??