We think it's important for you to understand how we make money. It's pretty simple, actually. The offers for financial products you see on our platform come from companies who pay us. The money we make helps us give you access to free credit scores and reports and helps us create our other great tools and educational materials.
Compensation may factor into how and where products appear on our platform (and in what order). But since we generally make money when you find an offer you like and get, we try to show you offers we think are a good match for you. That's why we provide features like your Approval Odds and savings estimates.
Of course, the offers on our platform don't represent all financial products out there, but our goal is to show you as many great options as we can.
Ally Bank is an online bank that doesn’t currently offer personal loans. An arm of Ally Financial Inc., the bank focuses on online savings accounts, checking accounts, auto loans and home loans.
If you’re looking for a personal loan from an online lender, we’ve got alternatives for you to consider. Whether you want to consolidate debt or finance home improvements, a personal loan might help you achieve your financial goals.
- Discover: Direct payments for debt consolidation
- SoFi: Member-only perks
- Wells Fargo: Large loan amounts
Why you may want to consider Discover: If you’re thinking of taking out a personal loan to consolidate debt like high-interest credit cards, Discover can pay your creditors directly. Direct payments may be helpful if you’re tempted not to pay off all your debt yourself with loan funds.
Here are some more details about Discover personal loans.
- Prequalification option: You can see what your rate might be before officially applying for a loan. To check your credit for prequalification, Discover will perform a soft inquiry that won’t affect your credit scores. Just remember that you’ll still have to officially apply, and if you’re approved, your rate and loan terms may be different from what you saw on your prequalification. Discover may perform a hard inquiry as part of your formal application.
- No origination fees or closing costs: Discover doesn’t charge an origination fee or closing costs. There’s also no prepayment penalty if you want to pay off your loan early.
- Loan amounts: Discover offers loans that range from $2,500 to $35,000. That maximum amount is lower than what some other online lenders offer, so if you need a larger loan amount, you’ll need to look elsewhere.
To learn more, read our Discover personal loan review.
Why you may want to consider SoFi: If you’re approved for a personal loan, SoFi offers a suite of benefits for members as well as unemployment protection. Some potential benefits include member dinners, happy hours, networking events and one-on-one money advice from financial planners.
If you find yourself unemployed through no fault of your own, you can apply to have SoFi temporarily pause your loan payments (in three-month increments up to a 12-month maximum) through its unemployment protection program. But keep in mind that interest will continue to accrue on your balance during this period.
Here are some more details about SoFi.
- Higher loan amounts: If you’re looking for a large loan amount, SoFi offers loan amounts that range from $5,000 to $100,000 if you apply through its site. Amounts may vary depending on your state.
- Lending criteria: SoFi requires you to have a steady income source or be employed (or have an employment offer for a job you’ll start within 90 days) and says it will also look at your cash flow, credit scores and career experience when evaluating your personal loan application.
- No origination or prepayment fees: SoFi doesn’t charge an origination fee, prepayment penalties or closing costs for personal loans.
For more info, read our SoFi personal loan review.
Wells Fargo: Large loan amounts
Why you may want to consider Wells Fargo: If you’re an existing customer at Wells Fargo — one of the nation’s largest banks — it’s worth a look for a personal loan. The bank offers unsecured personal loans with large maximum loan amounts. Unsecured loans range from $3,000 to $100,000. Its rates are also very competitive.
- Customer discount: If you’re an existing customer, you may qualify for an interest rate discount of up to 0.50% if you make automatic monthly payments from a qualifying Wells Fargo account.
- Co–applicant accepted: Wells Fargo lets you apply for a personal loan with another person, which can be helpful if you think that person’s credit history will help you qualify for a loan or a better rate.
- No origination fee: The bank doesn’t charge origination or closing fees or a prepayment penalty. But you may face a returned payment or late fee if you can’t make payments on time.
- Potentially fast funding: If approved, you may be able to access your funds as soon as the next business day. But remember that exact timing will depend on your bank.
Learn more in our full review of Wells Fargo personal loans.
How we picked alternatives to an Ally Bank personal loan
Since Ally Bank is an online bank, we examined other online lenders that offer personal loans. We looked at features such as eligibility requirements, loan terms and amounts, fee structures, interest rates, prequalification options and other aspects that might make a personal loan appealing.