How can I find an IRS office near me?

Woman sitting at her kitchen table, smiling and reading on her tablet over breakfastImage: Woman sitting at her kitchen table, smiling and reading on her tablet over breakfast

In a Nutshell

If you have a federal income tax issue to address in person, an IRS office near you may be able to help. But before you head to your local Taxpayer Assistance Center, you’ll need to make an appointment.
Editorial Note: Intuit Credit Karma receives compensation from third-party advertisers, but that doesn’t affect our editors’ opinions. Our third-party advertisers don’t review, approve or endorse our editorial content. Information about financial products not offered on Credit Karma is collected independently. Our content is accurate to the best of our knowledge when posted.

This article was fact-checked by our editors and Jennifer Samuel, senior product specialist for Credit Karma.

Dealing with a tax issue? It’s possible to get in-person help from the IRS when you make an appointment at a local Taxpayer Assistance Center.

The Internal Revenue Service recognizes that taxpayers can use some help when navigating their annual federal income taxes. So the agency has a network of locations you can visit to do just that. Visit the Taxpayer Assistance Center Office locator and search by ZIP code to find an office near you.

Keep reading to learn more about what a Taxpayer Assistance Center can do for you and how to find one.

What is a Taxpayer Assistance Center?

The IRS says that nearly every tax issue can be resolved online or by phone. But if you do need to talk to an IRS representative in person, you can visit a local Taxpayer Assistance Center.

All 50 states, the District of Columbia and Puerto Rico have TACs, though the number in each region varies. Larger, more-populated states may have more locations (for example, California has 28) while smaller states may have fewer (just two in Iowa).

Heads-up though: Taxpayer Assistance Centers are appointment only and are closed on federal holidays.

How do I find an IRS office near me?

Locate your nearest IRS office by using the Taxpayer Assistance Center Office locator at The tool allows you to search by ZIP code and radius.

The IRS also provides a state-by-state list of centers, some of which review identification documents for people applying for an individual taxpayer identification number (or TIN) in person.

How do I make an appointment at a local IRS office?

To visit a Taxpayer Assistance Center, make an appointment by calling 1-844-545-5640.

Before making an appointment though, try resolving your tax issues online or by phone. Either method could help you get the answers you need quickly, rather than having to wait for your appointment.

For a list of online tools and resources to help answer your questions, visit You can also type your question into the IRS Interactive Tax Assistant. And if you want to speak to someone on the phone for tax help, you can call 1-800-829-1040 from 7 a.m. to 7 p.m. local time.

Things to know about calling the IRS

What services do Taxpayer Assistance Centers provide?

You can get in-person help with a variety of federal tax issues and more when you visit your local Taxpayer Assistance Center. Keep in mind though, services can vary from center to center. Ask ahead of time or check online for the list of services provided at your local center to ensure you’ll get the help you need.

Here are some examples of TAC services.

  • Help with letters, notices of garnished wages or levies on a bank account
  • Changes to tax account information
  • Payments by cash, money order or check
  • Help with questions about tax provisions of the Affordable Care Act
  • Help with questions about the Tax Cuts and Jobs Act
  • Answers related to your individual federal tax return
  • Applications for individual taxpayer identification numbers and Form W-7
  • Payment arrangements
  • Solutions to a variety of other tax issues

Some offices offer Facilitated Self Assistance (or FSA) systems, a self-assistance computer kiosk, with an IRS employee available to help. This provides a hybrid of in-person assistance and computer self-navigation where you can access to complete a number of tasks or get more information on subjects like …

  • The Free File program
  • Forms and publications
  • “Where’s My Refund?” inquiries
  • Earned income tax credit (or EITC)
  • Tax law questions
  • Transcripts
  • Online applications for an employer identification number (or EIN)
  • Application for an online payment agreement
  • Electronic payments (Direct Pay and the Electronic Federal Tax Payment System)

What if the experts at the Taxpayer Assistance Center can’t answer my questions?

If you don’t get the help you need at your local Taxpayer Assistance Center, try contacting the Taxpayer Advocate Service. This independent organization within the IRS works to protect taxpayer rights and help individuals understand tax-related issues they haven’t been able to resolve through normal IRS channels.

What should I take to my appointment?

Once you’ve booked your appointment at a Taxpayer Assistance Center, it’s important to prepare the documents you’ll need to bring with you. You’ll be asked to provide valid photo identification and a taxpayer identification number, such as a Social Security number.

It’s also wise to bring any paperwork related to your tax issues so that IRS reps can better assist you and answer your questions as quickly and accurately as possible. Examples of paperwork that might be useful, depending on your issue, include W-2s, 1099 forms, bank statements, relevant receipts and tax returns from previous years.

And it’s important to note that the IRS representatives at Taxpayer Assistance Centers can help you with many of your tax-related questions and provide necessary guidance, but it’s not the same as hiring a tax professional to prepare your taxes or help you with a tax issue. And even though you may qualify for free services to help you file your taxes with one-on-one assistance, tax preparation services are not available at Taxpayer Assistance Center locations.

For more information about free tax services, including locations in your community, look into the Volunteer Income Tax Assistance (or VITA) program or the Tax Counseling for the Elderly (or TCE) program.

Bottom line

From federal income taxes and beyond, if you have questions about your taxes, the IRS may be able to help, either online or over the phone.

But if you can’t find the answers and guidance you need, another option is to search the Taxpayer Assistance Center Office locator online to find a nearby location you can visit in person. You can make an appointment at your local TAC to discuss a variety of important tax-related topics and get help solving any tax issues you’re dealing with.

Jennifer Samuel, senior tax product specialist for Credit Karma, has more than a decade of experience in the tax preparation industry, including work as a tax analyst and tax preparation professional. She holds a bachelor’s degree in accounting from Saint Leo University. You can find her on LinkedIn.

About the author: Laura Malm is a writer and editor with a bachelor’s degree in journalism and strategic communication from the University of Minnesota. She is passionate about financial literacy and helping others feel confident in th… Read more.