Ally Home Mortgage

Review: Ally Home Mortgage

NMLS ID# 181005

Years in the industry

Information is provided by the mortgage lender.

3.7

Dec 26 2020
It was ok

They use better.com for the process. You have to be comfortable not talking to anyone. They nickel and dimed us in conditions instead of asking for stuff all up front- it is wasn’t things tied together, but rather just random things.

Jan 30 2021
Stay Far Away from Ally

If I could give them zero stars I would. Terrible experience - we actually just changed mortgage companies based on the horrific customer service.

We don’t have rates available from Ally Home Mortgage.

Average rates from other lenders

Purchase rates

Average home details

Credit score: 720–739 • Purchase • Primary residence • ZIP: 77009 • Price: $300,000 • Down payment: 20%

We didn’t find rates for you right now. See what would happen if something changes.

Explore buying power simulator

Refinance rates

Average home details

Credit score: 720–739 • Refinance • Primary residence • ZIP: 77009 • Loan balance: $230,000 • Est. home value: $287,500

Explore refinance calculator

All reviews (18)

Feb 03 2021
Ally Home Mortgage - Excellent Choice!

Prior to moving forward with locking in our rate, we called Ally and a person answered the phones after the first number selection. They were extremely knowledgeable and pulled our account up right away. It has also been amazing knowing at all times where they were in the process, something I've never had from a traditional bank.

Jan 30 2021
Stay Far Away from Ally

Jan 29 2021
Overpriced, inefficient, and sloooow

Terrible. They took 3 months to close and cost me around 3k in structural engineering and other extremely unusual inspections. It took so long with them that I had to extend the closing date 10 times, and they charged me $45 a day to extend, even though it was their fault it was taking so long!! They weren't from the area and didn't have relationships with any local workers. Every time they did something they had to sub contract it out, and they had no way to ensure the quality or speed of these subcontractors. The appraisal wasn't started until 10 weeks into the project, and we waited 3 weeks for it to finish. Meanwhile Ally said they couldn't even contact the appraisers directly, and charged me by the day. Not to mention they are based in California and there was a 2 or 3 hour time difference, a big deal if you work nights and have to stay up till noon to get someone on the phone. To top it all off, the closing costs were roughly 5k, not counting the 3k I spent out of pocket on the structural engineer or home inspection. This is on an 80k house. AND my rate was roughly 0.5% hire than my neighbor who had worse credit but used a small local credit union. I love their bank accounts, but the mortgage service is terrible.

Jan 19 2021
Great experience

Great performance, attentiveness and response time, especially during covid times

Jan 17 2021
Online refinancing

Almost all details were done online. They step by step ask for forms to be uploaded. Within 24 hours it’s either approved or asked for more info. Mobile notary came by for signature at closing.

Jan 17 2021
Very bad

Very unprofessional not willing to help you they don’t take consideration in the the circumstances that you may be in very disappointing.

Jan 06 2021
Efficient

They don't have wiggle room on their fees at all, but they've created a streamlined, efficient process

Jan 05 2021
Incompetent application processing and underwriting

I have now had two painful experiences with this lender. The first was a purchase transaction in 2017 that closed late because of delays in processing and turnover of personnel at Ally. The second was a refi transaction that ultimately failed because Ally could not properly verify my employment and income (although they had all the information needed to do so) and because the underwriter failed to compute my debt-to-income ratio correctly. After my failed application with Ally, I applied to my credit union for a refi using the same information and was able to close the new loan quickly and with no problems at all.

Dec 26 2020
It was ok

Dec 24 2020
Refinance

Overall everything went well I had to provide a lot of documents but it is to be expected I would give them five stars

We don’t have rates available from Ally Home Mortgage.

Average rates from other lenders

Purchase rates

Explore buying power simulator

Refinance rates

Explore refinance calculator

††These ratings and reviews are provided by our users. The articles you read here come from the opinions of our editorial team. Lenders do not endorse or guarantee this content, are not responsible for it, and may not even be aware of it. Credit Karma receives compensation from third-party advertisers, but that doesn’t affect our editors’ opinions. Our marketing partners don’t review, approve or endorse our editorial content. It’s accurate to the best of our knowledge when it’s posted.

About These Rates: The lenders whose rates and other terms appear on this site are our advertising partners. The interest rates, annual percentage rates, and other terms advertised here are estimates provided by those advertising partners based on the information you entered above and they do not bind any lender. The monthly payment amounts and APRs shown here do not include taxes and insurance. Lender Fees include application, commitment, underwriting, processing fees or similar fees and do not include most third party fees, such as title insurance, tax service, escrow and other such fees in which the lender does not profit and are passed directly through to the borrower. Any potential savings figures are estimates based on the information provided by you and our advertising partners. While we will always do our best to provide you with accurate rate data, rates change frequently, and each advertising partner is responsible for the accuracy and availability of its own advertised terms. Your actual annual percentage rate and loan terms will be determined by the advertising partner’s assessment of your creditworthiness and other factors after you select and apply for a loan product.

The credit scores you see on Credit Karma use the VantageScore 3.0 scoring model. Rates shown here may be retrieved using a different scoring model, and our advertising partners may also use a different scoring model when assessing your creditworthiness.

The rates and other terms shown here may differ from those an advertising partner displays on its own website or on other advertising platforms. When evaluating offers, please review the advertising partner’s terms and conditions for details. These rates and other terms were retrieved via the Mortech rate engine.

Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from which we receive compensation. It is this compensation that enables us to provide you with services like free access to your credit scores and free monitoring of your credit and financial accounts at no charge. The compensation we receive does not affect the order or placement of mortgage offers on this site. We strive to provide a wide array of offers for our members, but our offers do not represent all financial services companies or products.

Please see the additional terms and conditions related to any Credit Karma mortgage promotions.