Virginia Credit Union (VACU)

Sep 26, 2016
Scandalist

They just as bad as other banks with their highway robbery system, They will pay bills early to overdraft you, Charge you $35 for a 3.00 cheeseburger, They are the worst, And I'm leaving, And if you were smart you would too !

Aug 15, 2016
The bad reviews are baffling
Lux18 Account Holder

Compared to Citibank this place is a dream. They've been an integral part of helping me get my finances sorted. I have no idea how it could possibly have so many bad reviews. Unless it's from people who have never banked with one of the big corporations that try to squeeze you for every penny.

if your a regular person looking for decent interest rates on credit, and no unreasonable fees, this is a great bank.

Aug 15, 2016
The bad reviews are baffling
Lux18 Account Holder

Perhaps it's my perspective, having banked with Citibank for years, but the credit union was a godsend after suffering so much abuse at the hands of a corporate bank.

Free checking/savings account

reimbursed atm fees (any atm)

only ONE overdraft fee in a day. FOR COMPARISON: at Citibank they would deliberately cash the largest checks/expenses first. That way if you over drafted they could hit you with multiple 30$ fees for a string of small transactions. This could add up fast, and once due to poor book keeping on my part, I wrote a large check that caused an overdraft. But Citi decided to deduct it first from a string of transactions so that 3 other small $20 transactions were over drafted. A $60 miscalculation on my part cost me an additional $90 in fees. The credit union only charges you once, and unlike Citibank you can call and negotiate, particularly if it's a rare occurrence. People complaining about overdraft fees from the credit union don't know how good they have it.

I was also able to transfer my Citibank debt to the credit union for a FAR better interest rate. I'm now well on my way to paying it all off.

Bottom line, if you are a regular person living check to check, and trying hard to get by the Credit Union is not necessarily  going to fix all your problems. But they won't actively be trying to make everything worse by squeezing you for money you don't have, and they can be a big help. It's a very fair bank. That this is so rare is a travesty.