Provident Credit Union Reviews

Aug 11, 2017
Blocks CK, Mint and PersonalCapital
lylebarrere Account Holder

Unfortunately I have to change my rating from 5 stars to 1.  Provident has decided to completely block all access to your own financial data!  With no warning they have blacked services like Mint or PersonalCapital from being able to access online banking.  Even the service they (still) advertise on their site Quicken WebConnect is broken.

Want to aggregate your financial information across multiple banks with PersonalCapital?  NO

Want to use Mint to track bill payments and reminders? NO

Want to use Quickbooks Online or Xero to manage your business? NO

They also completely bungled the roll out of this 'upgrade' with absolutely ZERO communication to members either before OR after the change.  When you call and talk to them they give you a BS line about 'hackers' and rudely hang up.

If their concern was actually security based, they could implement any one (or more) of many industry standard security procedures and still give members access to their own data.  How about 2FA with a OTP?  How about application specific passwords for aggregator sites?  How about authorization of specific IPs/DNS sites?  How about direct API connection to the services clients use?

This change is completely short sited and will discourage anyone who lives in the connected world of 2017 to leave.  It is not 1992, and while I can live with an online banking site that looks like it is 1992, I can't stay at a bank that sets up a walled garden and blocks customers access to their own data.

This is an extinction level mistake.

Jun 09, 2017
Good rates, staff in branch, bad website
lylebarrere Account Holder

This credit union has great 2% interest in checking accounts, and low credit card rates. Staff in the branches are fantastic, but their website looks like 1992 and is slow and hard to use. iPhone app is even worse, with limited features and incredibly slow loading times. Email support takes weeks (literally) for a response.

I wish their tech would improve to match their rates and in branch customer service so I could give them 5 stars.

Mar 16, 2017
no problems
TheCeladon Account Holder

I've been a member of this credit union for 8 years and have had no problems.  I have recently obtained their Visa card which is linked to the Rewards Checking that I have.  This arrangement allows me to receive a 2% interest on my checking balance plus the cash back that the card offers.  I recieve about $50 in cash monthly for spending about $300 to $400 every month.  The one complaint that I do have about Provident is their website.  It could have a better interface and be made simpler to navigate.  A Provident Credit Union agent called me during the application process and explained exactly how this Visa card works with Rewards Checking.  Now regarding customer service for the card itself I can't comment as I've had no problems with it.  I've had the card about 8 months now.

Oct 12, 2016
Good rates/low service level back office
dervilo Account Holder

They offer good rates, but I am having problems with their process, for example, I have paid my credit card and they did not compute they payment for 5 day, and sent the wrong balance value to the credti bureaut dropping my credit score by 90 points.

It was very bad for me and impacted me a lot!