Credit Union Reviews

Patelco Credit Union

3.45 10 Reviews Write a Review

Results 1-10 of 10Results per page: 5 | 10 | 25Page 1 of 1   Previous | Next

Before applying for a mortgage loan with Patelco, I explained to the rep that because I am in a same-sex marriage, my tax return is subject to IRS Pub 555, requiring splitting income between spouses.  He said that wouldn't be a problem.  After three months, hundreds of dollars of fees and many hours spent submitting documents, the loan was denied because my tax return is subject to IRS Pub. 555.  When I pointed out that Patelco's policy of denying loan applications due to this reporting requirement discriminates against same-sex couples, Patelco said they considered the policy to be legally defensible and are unconcerned about its impact on the LGBT community.  If you care about minority rights, please don't give these people your business.

Aug 01, 2012 Reply
Avoid at all costs Helpful to 2 out of 2 people

I refinanced a vehicle through them in 2012. Unfortunately it got totalled later that year and I expected my GAP coverage to kick in. Imagine my surprise when I got a call saying I owed them $3,000. We fought for months, until they finally found the GAP addendum, then they expected ME to file the claim. I called the GAP company, who would give me no information since I wasn't their client, the bank was. I called them and told them. Then six months later I find my credit DESTROYED by a charged off sum of $3,000.

Oct 06, 2013 Reply
Stay Away at ALL Costs Helpful to 2 out of 2 people

To make a long story short, Patelco is deceptive. We applied for a refi in Nov 2012. We locked in a 3% rate after we were approved. We paid $500 for a home appraisal. The day of the appraisal, we called Patelco to make sure we could lower the loan amt if the house appraised for lower than the County assessment (which is what we based our loan amt on). We were assured we could adjust the loan amt and keep the 3%. After the appraisal came in lower than we thought (by $20k), Patelco changed the interest rate several times over a 2-week period. They never gave us a satisfactory reason why the rate changed. In the end, after we sent an email and a certified letter demanding our $516 back ($500 for the appraisal and $16 application fee) with no response, we filed a complaint with the BBB asking for the money. Patelco eventually refunded the $500. After all that, interest rates increased so there's no way we'd get the 3% now, and our credit score decreased because of the credit check. :\  It was 780+ before, and now it's 760. Argh!!!  As soon as my CD matures, we are switching banks. Patelco shouldn't be a part of a credit union system.

mariabettina25145's review was:

Mar 01, 2013 Reply

mariabettina25145(1, 2)

Review by mariabettina25145

Patelco has been my family's CU for more than a decade- they offer great rates, and have a wonderful staff.  I received a check from a friend for payment, and put it in the night drop for deposit.  They next day, the local branch manager called me to say that the check was not imprinted (it was a new account), and if he deposited it, it would bounce. He asked me if I would like him to deposit it, or mail it back to me-- uh, MAIL IT BACK!  Try getting that from a bank- they'd rather have you incur fees.

osofein's review was:

Dec 30, 2010 Reply

osofein(1, 2)

Review by osofein

I went to go buy a car and originally I was going to get my loan through the dealership, luckily I talked with one of my friends and found out about Patelco and ended up getting a way lower APR than what I would have gotten through the dealership so I am paying less per month.  The entire process was easy and I highly recommend checking out Patelco.

peanut111's review was:

Dec 07, 2010 Reply

peanut111(8, 13)

Review by peanut111

Horrible... run away... Helpful to 1 out of 1 people

The whole reason to use a credit union is to get away from the worst of big bank behavior... which makes for an excellent reason to avoid Patelco.

soundbear's review was:

Apr 29, 2013 Reply

soundbear(1, 1)

Review by soundbear

They are amazing.

I started my relationship with Patelco on November 2012, and since they they have been awesome. They approved me for two auto loans, a 12,000 credit card, and every time I call, they either resolve any concerns or try to help. They have treated me right and won't leave them for any reason! Keep up the good work Patelco.

ferny777's review was:

Sep 01, 2013 Reply

ferny777(2, 2)

Review by ferny777

CU Banking Top Notch

It has been a pleasure banking at Patelco for the last 10 years.  My family of four each have accounts there.  We regularly use it for shares services and other items.  I used them for an auto loan a few years ago.  No problems.

rookie27's review was:

Apr 21, 2013 Reply

rookie27(4, 1)

Review by rookie27

I have used Patelco for over 40 years. It has been a fantastic organization! Service has always been good. My family has also used them over the years. My wife is a 40+yr Patelco member.  patelco has always been family and  people oriented. Their offices are located in good areas and are pleasant to be in. The people are pleasant and courteous. If banks operated like Patelco... we'd all be the better for it. I do 98% of my "banking" and "Investing" through Patelco. I expect to be with them at least another 40 years! (we can hope can't we!)

Zogar's review was:

Mar 27, 2012 Reply

Zogar(1, 0)

Review by Zogar

Patelco's been my credit union since I was a little kid. The customer service has been stellar and I have absolutely no complaints about them. Online banking is a snap with bill pay (including auto bill pay every month, great to stay on top of bills) and painless transfers, eStatements, and other great services. You even get discounts on various products and services for being a member! Highly recommend them.

LynnSnow's review was:

Oct 03, 2011 Reply

LynnSnow(2, 0)

Review by LynnSnow

Results 1-10 of 10Results per page: 5 | 10 | 25Page 1 of 1   Previous | Next

Add Your Review Of Patelco Credit Union

For over 75 years, Patelco Credit Union has been a financial partner to Northern California companies, local communities, and individuals all over the country. Providing consumers everything from a free checking account, home or auto loan, credit card, to a full portfolio review, Patelco claims to be not-for-profit banking at its best. Patelco offers a full range of products and services, such as checking, savings, certificates, auto & home loans, credit cards, investments, insurance, and more. Patelco also offers the personal and technological resources consumers need to keep accounts in order via online, mobile, and text message banking platforms. Patelco has 40 branches, 6,000 shared service centers, and 28,750 free ATMs, as well as one-on-one help from licensed financial experts.

Founded in 1936, any consumer can join Patelco Credit Union.

Company Details