Credit Union Reviews

ORNL Federal Credit Union

2.05 11 Reviews Write a Review

Results 1-10 of 11Results per page: 5 | 10 | 25Page 1 of 2   Previous | Next
Arrogant, Corrupt, and Incompetent Helpful to 2 out of 2 people

I have been a member of this credit union for over 20 years, and I have watched the attitude of both management and employees change from polite professionals who always went the extra mile to serve their customers as befitted a member-owned credit union that viewed customers as important stakeholders to a pack of arrogant, corrupt, incompetent red neck thugs who look for every possible way to bleed their customers, charging the same fees as large corporate banks and treating their customers--even senior citizens who have banked with them for over 20 years--with the same callous disregard.

When I first joined the credit union, my account representative gave me free checks with a nice floral design when she discovered they actually cost the credit union less than the standard design. A few years later I discovered that at some point, the credit union began charging me for the checks and refused to wave the fees until I filed a complaint with the Better Business Bureau. A few years after that, when I started having problems with my account, I began to go through my bank statements and discovered that I had been the victim of fraud. I was able to get my money back from the fraudulent company a lot faster than I was able to get my own credit union to return the overdraft fees that had resulted. I finally had to threaten a lawsuit to get them to do their job.

And then a year and a half ago, my car was totalled in an accident. My insurance company sent the credit union a check for the balance on my car loan and I bought another car. Two months after the credit union received full payment on the old loan, they were still charging me payments on the old loan and I was incurring late fees. They finally admitted to me that they had never bothered to obtain the title from the car dealership. Again, I had to threaten a lawsuit before they located the title, cashed the insurance check, and closed the old loan.

That time when I tried to report it to the BBB, I found that as a paying member of the BBB the credit union now has an arrangement with them whereby the BBB immediately closes any complaint that comes in against the credit union so that outsiders can't read what the complaint was about. It was very educational to discover that the BBB is not government owned or even monitored and can basically "be bought" by paying members. Go to the BBB site for Knoxville and look at all the complaints filed against ORNL Federal Credit Union.

I cannot count the number of times I have requested services that used to be offered as a courtesy and learned it would now cost me what amounts to a small fortune. For instance, if you need bank statements going back several months it costs $2.00 per page. Each month I receive an email telling me that my e-statement is ready to view, but each month I go to my online account to view the statement and see only an error message. When they couldn't readily fix the problem, they took my number and promised to have someone call me back to help, but of course no one ever called me. Obviously, the customer service is shockingly poor.

I think they do this purposely to make you want to take your money and go elsewhere after you have made a complaint against them, but after being a member of that credit union for over 20 years I would honestly rather get together with some other unhappy members (I'm sure there are many) and file a class action lawsuit against the credit union. That is the only way they will ever get straightened out and start behaving like a member-owned credit union again.

Mar 07, 2013 Reply
Becoming like a commercial bank Helpful to 1 out of 1 people

The whole point of banking with a local Credit Union is that "profits" from the union are redistributed amongst the members in the form of lower fees for services and higher rates of return for investments. But every year at ORNL FCU there is a new fee or an increase in existing fees, rather then a lowering of "member" costs. They charge $1 for automatically transferring funds from savings to checking to cover drafts and unfunded overdrafts now incur a $35 charge per NSF. After more than 12 years wit ORNL FCU I think I will be looking for a local community bank with fewer or lower fees.

Sep 16, 2013 Reply
Hurt, Disappointed

I have been a member for over 17 years.  I have recent fallen on some hard times and tried to apply for a personal loan.  It was only for $1000.00.  I was declined.  My credit isn't that great but I am employed full time.  I pay my bills on time.  I had my car loan with them.  I paid it in full.  I was never late on a payment.  I didn't even get the courtesy of a phone call to tell me that I was turned down. I went to their website and checked there.  The explanation for my denial was not only embarrassing and unprofessional. It was hurtful.  I will be closing my account as soon as I can and will never do business with them again.

Horrible

I would give this "credit union" zero stars if I could. They will nickel and dime you to death with a new "schedule fee". They are becoming profit-oriented...they are a non-profit 501c3. The staff has become rude and condescending. I agree with a previous poster; they think they are a bank.

Aug 22, 2013 Reply
Shocked to see negative reviews

I have banked here for about 8 years since I got completely screwed by Suntrust for the billionth time.  Things they do to make me happy:

- Waived overdraft fees (once, luckily only needed once).

- Refinanced my car loan that I had only had for 6 months for 6% cheaper.

- Make deposit available for withdrawal immediately.  I have never had a check that was held.

- Have always been friendly even when I have high maintenance requests.

I'm not happy about the statement fees they've added, but generally I still feel like this is the best place to bank.  They're big enough to be competitive, but not so big to be a pain.

whoisjustrin's review was:

Aug 07, 2013 Reply

whoisjustrin(1, 0)

Review by whoisjustrin

Realy best interest rates on car loans .Got mine at 4% realy like the service

Jun 13, 2012 Reply

You're obviously an employee, probably a low level marketing assistant. I have been a member of this credit union for over 20 years and have watched the attitude of both management and employees gradually change from professional and courteous to arrogant, corrupt, and incompetent. Services that used to be offered as a courtesy to their members (remember, this is supposed to be a member-owned credit union, not the Bank of America) now cost a small fortune. They look for every possible way to bleed their members, even gouging their long-time senior citizen members with the same high fees that large corporate banks charge, such as $2.00 *per page* for bank statements (you're screwed if you need statements going back a year or more for a loan), $35.00 overdraft fee (don't bother to arrive at the credit union the minute they open to make a quick deposit after you suddenly realize that you overspent on shopping the evening before--I tried that and they very rudely told me they would not return two overdraft fees since they were caused by my error, not theirs), $35.00 stop-payment fee (while they are happy to do the stop payment and charge your account over the phone, if you decide to remove the stop payment you are required to come inside the credit union (not the drive thru) and sign a form to have the fee removed). I had a car loan with them, too, but when my car was totalled and my insurance sent them a check for the remaining balance on my loan, they kept the loan on my account and continued to charge me for over two months until I started incurring late fees. It turned out they had never bothered to obtain the title from the car dealership and could not cash the check with no title to send the insurance company. I had to threaten a lawsuit before they got their act together. Pathetic. But are they apologetic and try to go the extra mile to make up for it? Oh no. In their minds, the member is the stupid ignoramous, not them. Don't bother to complain to the BBB. So many complaints have been filed with the BBB against the ORNL Fed Credit Union that the credit union now has an arrangement (as a paying member of the BBB) where the BBB immediately closes every complaint brought against the credit union before the public can read what the complaint was about. Yes, that's right. The BBB is a private organization--NOT government regulated, so they can be and often are "bought off" like any other good ol' boy institution.

Knowstoomuch's reply was:

Mar 07, 2013

Knowstoomuch(1, 0)

Review by Knowstoomuch

Have had an account with them for three or four years.  Interest rate on savings account is terrible but I'm just using it as a secondary account for a small amount of money for emergencies so it isn't that big of a deal to me.  I don't go in the credit union very often (maybe 4 or 5 times a year), but have had positive experiences with the employees when I have (at least at the branch that I use).  If you're looking for a decent rate of interest there are better options available though.

callenlee's review was:

Apr 04, 2012 Reply

callenlee(2, 0)

Review by callenlee

Customer service personnel seemed aloof to the point of being arrogant .  Strongly suspect personnel of being incompetent and uncaring.  Was amazed such an atitude  could exist in customer oriented business so competitive as financial  services.

Mar 24, 2012 Reply
Results 1-10 of 11Results per page: 5 | 10 | 25Page 1 of 2   Previous | Next

Add Your Review Of ORNL Federal Credit Union

ORNL Federal Credit Union is a financial cooperative that serves businesses and residents in sixteen counties throughout central-east Tennessee. Available financial products include checking and savings accounts, IRAs, auto loans, credit cards, home equity, mortgages, and business banking services. With CyberBranch online banking, members can check account balances, transfer funds, make loan payments, and pay bills. Members can also access their account twenty-four hours a day with an automated telephone banking system. Customer service is available online, over the phone, by email, and in 32 branch locations throughout the greater Knoxville area.

ORNL Federal Credit Union was chartered in 1948 to serve the employees of Oak Ridge National Laboratory. Today, ORNL Federal Credit Union has over $1 billion in assets and serves 158,000 members.

Company Details