Credit Union Reviews

OnPoint Community Credit Union

2.55 14 Reviews Write a Review

Results 1-10 of 14Results per page: 5 | 10 | 25Page 1 of 2   Previous | Next
Steadily Declining Customer Service Helpful to 1 out of 1 people

I have had an account with OnPoint (formerly Portland Teacher's Credit Union,) for over 40 years, but I am seriously considering leaving. Their customer service has been going downhill ever since OnPoint took over. Two years ago, they changed their online systems and offered Finance Works, which I took advantage of. I started using it instead of doing my bookkeeping in a computer-based program. Now, they've changed their system again and without adequate notice have curtailed access to the Finance Works data, just as we enter the 4th quarter of the year. To date, their 'customer service' has offered apologies, but no real assistance. This is beyond unacceptable. Add to that a number of other incidents of poor customer service and an increasing disregard for the needs of members and the result is disappointing. This company is not what it once was. I'm evaluating other credit unions and will likely move my accounts in the near future.

Nov 17, 2013 Reply
No problems here.. Helpful to 1 out of 1 people

I've been with OnPoint since switching from a smaller Credit Union to them when I was 18. I've never had any problems, they've even waived overdraft charges in tough months. I've always gotten quick and courteous customer service. I applied for a loan -and the girl was late, real first-world issue huh?- but the process was easy and pretty fast for what I was expecting. I've never even considered changing Unions, my grandmother has used them since -who knows when- when it was the Teacher's Credit Union and has had no problems either. I thought it would be fair to give the opinion of a long-standing member since I saw a lot of "joining" negativities. I suppose we should all remember that an employee or two doesn't represent the Union as a whole.

babycakes0423's review was:

Jan 31, 2013 Reply

babycakes0423(1, 1)

Review by babycakes0423

On Point used to be great.  Now you get long phone trees and seven minutes on hold to reach a real person.  Nothing like the service they used to provide.

Aug 14, 2012 Reply

I have tried again and again to reach someone in the mortgage lending department for a potential refinance opportunity, but with no avail.  The last time I decided to ask if this was the kind of service I could expect from Onpoint if I did refinance with this company and I was met with a surly response of "it is first come first serve, and most likely I MIGHT hear back from someone in about 72 hours, and yes".  Wow is all I have to say, and from a local branch that supposedly has a good reputation.  Looks like I will go with Rivermark!  Good luck Onpoint customers, I hope you have better luck than I did!

Nov 22, 2011 Reply
happy with the service

Just opened up both personal and business accounts with them and our rep went out of his way to accomodate our business needs for the account.  The experience of opening the accounts was night / day compared with our big bank experience.  So I'm a happy customer and feel better about the switch from big bank.

Mar 24, 2014 Reply
Beware of their pre-paid cards

I have always favored credit unions, because they contribute more to the local economy and have lower fees than banks.  I have been a happy Onpoint member for 5+ years.

I recently obtained an international pre-paid Visa card for travel.  These are marketed by Onpoint, but are operated by some outside company (PSCU Financial Services).  Onpoint made several marketing claims, including unlimited no-cost transfers from my Onpoint account to the card.  None of these are correct.  It costs $3 to speak with a customer service rep.  Transferring money to the card is limited to four times in any one week period.  And they suddenly started charting $2 for each and every transfer.  Hardly a low-cost option.

I did check the on-line Ts and Cs yesterday.  Sure enough, they were recently modified to reflect these new charges.  But there was no notification to existing customers.  I only found out when I noticed these charges tacked on to my account balance.

After several long conversations with Onpoint, it became clear that they implemented this program without any understanding of the user fees or processes involved.  I don't which is more disturbing - the add-on fees that violate their marketing spiel (and the spirit of using a CU), or the extreme lack of  competence demonstrated by Onpoint.

I will be moving to a different financial institution.

Mar 04, 2014 Reply
Going downhill

I've been a member for 18 years and until recently I had nothing but praise for my credit union. They still have very friendly people working for them, but the friendly people have no power to fix the problems that happened when the slow, ugly, broken new online banking system went into effect. As another reviewer mentioned, the new system made it impossible to see old financial management data for this year. Worse, I haven't been able to view one of my loan accounts since the switch. I feel that regular, long-time members are no longer a priority with this credit union.

Dec 09, 2013 Reply
Abysmal

Abysmal customer service. If you need to get anything done you can either spend hours waiting on the phone, or hours waiting in line at their branches only to be told you need an apointment. It's sad because these guys used to be the best. They have gone downhill fast.

Dec 03, 2013 Reply
down to average

I've been witn OnPoint many years. As the business has gotten larger some of the comfort of the small town pleasures have diminished greatly. As all of at times have bad days there are those short & curt attitudes. I've applied for credit cards and have been constantly turned down, even for a secured deposit. My fica score is low but I paid my car off early, and on time every mo. Another credit union offered me a $500.00 CL. So with all honesty I rate them only average.  Sorry OP

w84metmetet's review was:

Nov 27, 2013 Reply

w84metmetet(1, 0)

Review by w84metmetet

OnPoint

I have had some type of account with OnPoint for many many years; probably in the neighborhood of 10+ years. I've had car loans through them, savings accounts that I never used since they force you to open them to use any of their lines of credit, and a credit card. My car was paid off in full without ever being late, and my on time payments for my credit card could be rated at roughly 95%, since I was unemployed for a couple years. Now seeing that my minimum payment was over $250 for that time, I would say my payment history (Which is a very rough guesstimate) is absolutely stellar given my unemployment status for nearly 70% of that time, if not more.

Onward....

I was approved for $7,000 in 2010 and as aforementioned, made my payments on time 95% of the time. If there was ever an issue that I was aware of, I would always call and notify them; I called them many times per year to maintain communication.

Come October of 2012, I decided to take a closer look at my statement, only to find that my credit limit was COMPLETELY ELIMINATED. I received absolutely no notification of this, no warning, nothing (And yes, my mailing address is current). I was not sent to collections, and in fact was paying OVER my minimum payment, as is customary with me.

This is not the only time I had an issue with them. At the beginning of 2012 I intended to do a balance transfer from an account whose promotion was ending to my OnPoint account. I called OnPoint and gave them all the info, and they stated that I needed to continue making payments to the payor, and that the request was sent. Well, come to find out the following month, the request was NOT sent, and I was charged over $500 in interest since the balance, the balance that was supposed to be transferred, was not paid in full. OnPoint had no record of the transaction, so I was stuck with a crappy creditor, and well over $500 in back APR.

What kind of institution runs this way? An institution that does not deserve my, or any other good citizens business. Their online banking system is a pathetic joke, and the fact that they require you to open a savings account for any other account is just plain ridiculous.

Would I recommend this institution? Obviously not. While most of the time the customer service on the phone was above par, the actual institution needs severe help if this is the way that they treat even .5% of their customers. Situations like this should NEVER happen. Needless to say, my account will be closed and I will share my experience with everyone that I talk to about banking.

Do yourself a favor, go with another institution.

Feb 28, 2013 Reply
Results 1-10 of 14Results per page: 5 | 10 | 25Page 1 of 2   Previous | Next

Add Your Review Of OnPoint Community Credit Union

As the largest credit union in Oregon, OnPoint Community Credit Union offers financial services to residents and small businesses of select counties in Oregon and Washington. Financial products include checking, savings, and money market accounts. Auto loans, credit cards, home equity, and mortgages are also available. Online banking services allow members to manage their accounts including paperless eStatements and bill pay. OnPoint Community Credit Union’s website also features mobile banking and calculators to assist members in making financial decisions. Customer service is available over the phone, email, postal mail, or in branches.

OnPoint Community Credit Union was founded in 1932 as Portland Teachers Credit Union. Today, they provide financial services to over 213,000 members in eleven Oregon counties and two counties in Washington.

Company Details