NASA Federal Credit Union

Aug 27, 2016
They ruined my life.

I applied for a student loan and was told the loan was fine all the way from March to the Friday, in August, before I moved into my dorm. I moved in on Monday and I called them on Tuesday about my loan and they said that there was an application error, that was entirely fixable, that they knew about all the way back in MARCH; they never bothered to mention this or inform us of the issue and it was a simple issue. I had to drop out and move out by second day of college. Never using them again.

Apr 04, 2016
Awesome and can not beat 7.9% fixed rate
aztoy4x4 Account Holder

I applied for their credit card and got the standard you will find out later.  I thought oh great an inquiry and denial.  Nope got another Email the next day and was approved for a good credit line.  I paid off my higher rate cards online.  All of them went electronically except for Capital One.  That took about a week and thought it got lost.  Nope after calling telephone banking it showed up paid the next day.  I have been very happy with them.  The miniumum payment on the balance transfter is 2%.  Great place to do business and good people that I talked with on the phone.  The balance transfers can be all done online which gets the other card paid off in a day or 2.

Feb 22, 2016
Fees & Incompliance: 20+ year member
tsiz23 Account Holder

I've been with NASAFCU since before I had real money. They were my first bank. All I knew until recently. This is my experiance.

I've applied for various loans over the years at NASAFCU and always had a problem either getting them finalized or approved. Good luck with getting anything done on the phone. Information from the phone jockeys is often inaccurate. When rejected they give you very little info. If you call about it they will give you the runaround for days. This is the only institution I know of that will reject a $500 secured credit card for someone with more the 4 times that in their accounts.  Capital One approved the same card in 30 seconds and in addition gave around $150 in unsecured credit without being asked. NASAFCU took days to reject and then seemed to not know their own processes after. When approved you might have a problem executing the loan on the backend of the process. I once had to go to the branch to finalize a car loan because nobody would (could?) help me on the phone.

In addition to all this they started charging fees. On my checking account they charged monthly fees. I had to move that account to another credit union to avoid the substantial cost. I decided to keep something open and left some money for a rainy day saving account. Then on my savings account NASAFCU started charging a fee for inactivity, which seems odd for a savings account. I wouldn't have minded this so much if they told me it was coming so I could have fixed it. They say they mailed something but they only thing I got from them in the mail are insurance advertisements I don't want. Keep in mind I'm on paperless billing, no mention of this in my emailbox. I'm not sure why they need so many fees since they're not subject to the same regulation and taxes as a normal bank.

I though the reason to use a credit union over a traditional bank is to avoid these kind of fees and nonsense. In my 20 years with NASAFCU I've written them more complaints then anyone/anything else. Probably about 80% of complaints I lodge with companies have been to NASAFCU. Every interaction seems to be negative.

The bottom line with NASAFCU is that if you don't have enough money in their possession they don't want you around and will treat you like a 2nd class member. If you’re OK with that then go for it, but watch out you don’t cross some imaginary account/loan balance barrier and start getting charged every month like what happened to me twice.

On the other hand the Columbia, MD branch is very good. It's like the eye of the bad banking hurricane.

Mar 28, 2016

Joined them 4 months ago and applied for a credit card which was approved for $13200--fast forward 2 months when I applied for a $4000 car loan and was instantly approved , 4 days later they disapproved the loan for not long enough credit history. I have several credit cards, a mortgage I have been paying for 6 yrs. and a AMEX Gold Card for 20 years. I think I have a decent credit history.

Dec 11, 2015
Instant Approval
MikeWilkes Account Holder

I applied for a membership and was approved in less than 15 seconds as I watched the hourglass turn.  I was immediately able to login but I waited 30 minutes later to apply for the Platinum Cash Rewards card.  This process was just the same as before with the hourglass turning for 20 seconds and the next page was a notfication that I was approved with a $22,400 credit limit.  I then immediately applied for a PLOC and I entered the request amount of $25K (not to try to ask for the full amount of $30K) which appeared in my account after e-signing loan agreements they emailed within 5 mins.  This was one of the easiest application processes ever all the way around!