Digital Federal Credit Union (DCU)

Apr 02, 2016
061jrs Account Holder

For the majority of people in order to be eligible to be a member you will have to join an organization from a list they provided. I joined outreach for schools and the cost was $10. Plus $5 minimum amount needed in savings account to join. So 15 bucks for me membership.

This place approved me for visa with $1,000 when NOBODY else would due to lack of credit history and too few accounts. Thought I was going to have to buy a secured card but nope! Currently have ck tu 633 with three accounts open and tons of inquiries with one item in collections (cable bill/ ex girlfriend issue).

They did deny my refi on my car but a very polite cs rep called and said with only 7 month long credit history and one account in collections they just can't do it but if I show 6-8 more months of on time payments they'll " definitely honor my request for refi at that time.". Hopefully he knows what he's talking about. Either way nobody else gave me a visa even with calling and very politely laying it on thick to all the recon lines. Dcu gave me one with a line of 1k. So I'm well on my way and super stoked I didn't have to cough up 200$ for secured card.

They do one hard inquiry for membership. Then another for any product. But with that second inquiry you can apply for multiple products like visa, refi,etc. As long as its within 45 days of second inquiry they'll just use that multiple times.

Free checking
Free ATM using their machines or in their partner network if you have direct deposit and a loan of sorts with them or sign up for e statements. Two of three your choice.

Will reimburse $5 monthly for using foreign Atms.

Free monthly fico score

Tomorrow I'm going to get a quote for car insurance and maybe drop progressive.

Talked to cs twice and they were friendly and helpful. Website seems decent (nothing cutting edge) and they have an app. Overall I'm happy to have a bank now did I mention they gave me a visa when nobody would!

On other forums people obsess over the great rates they got on refi, even people with decent/ good refi, but especially people with outrageous loans they needed to ditch. I've read people going from 24% to 4%. And people going from 4% to 1.75.

Hopefully they'll offer good car insurance and I can save some cash and six months from now get out of my car loan which I think is the worst car loan anyone has ever had. Ever! The visa should help too.

Super stoked with nothing bad to say.

Thank you dcu!

Jul 06, 2016
The most arrogant, greedy and unhelpfuls

The most arrogant, greedy and unhelpful bank. I never get any help or accurate information from DCU. Different associates will give you different information. They always hungry for get more money from you in any ways they can.

Nov 21, 2016
False Promises

I got an Auto loan approved with DCU for a bit higher rate, as i knew my credit report was not so great at that point. After talking to the customer support personnel, they have promised a reduction in interest rate as a promotional offer (0.5% deduction) with direct deposit and a 0.25% deduction in interest rate, for every 3 consecutive payments on time. Now this is where the promises failed, i made sure that i asked them this question of, does a partial direct deposit come under this promotional offer and they have agreed for this. But, after 90 days of my loan starting, they have revoked the deduction interest rate saying that they would require a full direct deposit, which was never a statement from them. When i contacted them about this issue, they have some customer service people with half knowledge of what is happening and what needs to e done. Neverthless, i was declined this offer and i did not bother about this, as i knew it would lot of time from my personal schedule. After a few months, i made a wrong payment, instead of making a regular one, i made a principal only amount. I agree this was my mistake, remember the 0.25% deduction in interest for every 3 consecutive payments ? Well, they stopped this offer from that time, about 7-8 months now. When i tried to contact the customer support, they have argued that the offer is no longer valid for new customers. I know, i'm a old customer. It took almost 30-45 minutes for me to get this to their head. And now i got another new rule thrown at me, saying that from the time of wrong payment month, it will take another 3 months of consecutive payments to qualify for this offer and it will start from the next 3 payments. Basically, the wrong payment was in February, i had to pay my bill for March, April and May to qualify for this offer and from then i always made ontime paymets. So according to their new rule, there should be a 2 0.25% deduction in interest rate (June, July, Augusta, September, October, November). But here comes the reason for my title, the interest rate is still the same. I WOULD NOT RECOMMEND DCU to any of my friends/family. I'm just waiting to get out from DCU. I wish i could give 0 star.

Nov 01, 2016
DCU has very good banking experience

DCU has very good banking experience

Oct 28, 2016
They've approved me at decent rates
CallieKin Account Holder

I like DCU. Ive had 2 auto loans through them and a credit card. Customer service (via phone) isn't excellent but the agents have been friendly if a bit clueless at times. Some have been great, some fairly useless. The website is a bit convoluted and the payment center was not easy to find or figure out. The service agents in the branches have been great though even if I have to drive an hour to get to one. In teh end DCU has approved me for products at good rates when I was being denied by every major bank. If I have to jump through hoops a little to get good credit products then so be it.

Oct 07, 2016
customized license plate
Arunjohnny Account Holder

If you want customized license plate, don't get DCU auto loan.

Oct 05, 2016
Love DCU
061jrs Account Holder

18 months ago I had no credit history at all and needed reliable transportation. I had no cosigner and as a result ended up with a very bad car loan. 23.99% interest and $399/mo payment for a used civic.

Nobody would give me a credit card and I was on the verge of opening a secured card and putting down $500 on it which I didn't want to as you may imagine.

I decided to join DCU after reading so many good reviews here and elsewhere. My goal was to eventually refi with them at some point. They gave me a $1k visa at the beginning. They wouldn't refinance me early on but said if I showed them 6-8 more months on time payments they definitely would. About 6 months later they had a message in my inbox saying I was pre approved for auto loan and CL increase on my visa.

My new loan is 3.49% interest and $215 a month with the same amount of months left. ( I kept the same amount of months by design even though it's a fairly long time).

I also now have a $2500 discover it card. At the same time I got my car loan originally I got two store cards for credit building purposes as well. I've received several CL increases on them both and now I am getting an increase on my visa from DCU and they refinanced my car which is making so happy I could do a cartwheel.

Customer service has always been polite and helpful. The only thing is if you do apply for something as a loan wait 24 hours and then just call them. They may or may not be proactive about calling you which is strange but.... all things considered I can call them. They saved me thousands and thousands and thousands on my refi deal.

DCU literally helped me get a foothold into the world of credit and I will forever be thankful for the opportunity they provided me.

Other things I like about them:

I received a paper check once and used their android app to snap a picture of it and 90 minutes later it was in my account.

They are my sole bank and they give me my paycheck on Wed at 3:30 instead of friday which is my payday

When I am paying my visa issued by them it is a simple matter of transferring it from checkings to my visa account. This takes 15 seconds

I can get a cash advance from my visa without paying any crazy extra amount ( I did this once just to confirm there was no extra fees )

Customer service is always polite to me and helpful. They all speak english natively including the live chat people (I believe)

They've never required excessive documentation from me and the few documents I submitted I did so online which is very convenient and easy for me.

They have a good partnership atm  network allowing me free atm use.

If I use an atm out of network they reimburse me up to $5 a month in atm fees and put it straight in my savings account.

The website is adequate and the app is fine. But I will say the website is not optimized for mobile browsers. You can absoultely still use it but it is not optimized for mobile devices.

Overall I have not a single bad word to say about them.

Thanks DCU

Sep 22, 2016
Horrile, pathetic service
mkv1011 Account Holder

Hi,

Please do not waste time by going with DCU. This is most horrible credit unions I have ever had accounts with. I have

been a loyal customer past 18 years, yes, last 18 years. Last few years been they service drastically deteriorate,

pathetic and arrogant customer service, very poor service. I gave very good businesses to this credit union since 18

years and in return they have been they dented my credit score by falsely reporting the missing payments. How can I

miss my payments, when it is automatic payments are scheduled for indifinite period of time. I have had my car loan,

home equity and credit card account (until last couple of months this was my primary card) at differnt time periods

and big believer of supporting credit unions. I was wrong. I have set up automatic payments on monthly basis to

transfer money from our from a big bank to my DCU credit union accounts(savings and money market), because they do not

allow us to schedule money to go to our car loan or home equity or credit card accounts at DCU. I have also scheduled

multiple scheduled transfers to pay off monthly to car loan, home equity and credit card accounts.

The DCU's automatic scheduled transfers are flawed or programmed to be flawed or not sure what is the real reason.

Since last couple of years, they kept calling I did not pay. I always used to tell them, automatic payments scheduled

to payoff to loan accounts. We have always payoff full amount, never ever missed payments since decades its true with

other car loans, credit accounts (I have several major credit cards and always pay full amount on dot/on time, never

missed a payment) between accounts. I had proof as well to show them that it was scheduled. But, they always telling

me it my fault, I was not paying. That was last year, they called and transfered first time. But, since last year,

their automatic payments not working and same problem, and never calling me anymore, and never transferred amount

saving accounts to other loan accounts, and some very small amount around 100 dollars and 200 dollars. We always had

balance to payoff for 1 year. And, they were reporting to credit bureau without our knowledge. Recently, couple of

months ago, I tried to refince and my credit score came back below 700, my credit scores never below 800 since last

few years (nevery missed any payments since decades) and always had excellent credit score. I was shocked to see my

score was 670 and 680. I have disputed with DCU with proof and the customer service was arrogant, pathetic service and

not willing accept their fault and never reversed their fault, which was falsely reported to credit bureaus since

automatic payments did not work as it was intended. And, could not refinance to get better rates. They have dented my

credit score real bad. They did not release how valuable each customer is, and I am a business man too, run a small

business and all of our employees referred by me to have accounts here at DCU. And, additionally I have referred many

of friends and family to this pathetic DCU credit union since last 18 years, more than 100-150 customers I have

referred. Now, since last couple of months, I have moved and closed all of my car/home equity/credit card loan

accounts to big bank. I have filed a complaint with BBB as well to falsely reporting to credit bureaus. This is

outcome of being a loyal and high valued customer for last 18 years. I have also, shared my experience with this DCU

to my friends and family and to our employees. Never do business with DCU..its not worth it..they do not understand their customer....period

Sep 11, 2016
Worst service ever

Worst service ...

Sep 06, 2016
Not Trustworthy
bhat123 Account Holder

I had always held DCU highly and whenever I looked at the negative reviews, I felt the mistake was not at DCU' end. Today, my opinion changed forever. Around 4 weeks back they were supposed to send my card and after two weeks I called them to let them know that I still haven't received my card. They kept saying I should have received my card by then. Today I recevied my card which was posted four days back. So for one complete week I was checking my mail box for a card which was never sent. To make matters worse, they disconected the chat session when I asked them about this. Time to open a new back account!

Jul 23, 2016
Solid customer service with good product

Super happy with DCU. Flexible with knowledgable CS. Good but not superb overseas. Integrated systems and superb customer service are a big draw for their loans, which may not be the best rates.

Jul 21, 2016

Terrible , will never go back!