Credit Card Reviews Advertiser Disclosure

Apply Now
Find Out More

Ratings by Category

Cardholder Ratings

• Balance Transfer Intro APR 0% intro for 12 Billing Cycles on qualifying transfers
  • Purchase Intro APR 0% intro for 12 Billing Cycles

Jan 11, 2016
A Must Have Cash Back Card
APowderBlue Cardholder

This is a real and detailed review.
Personally, I hate Bank of America as a bank, but their credit card department is completely different. Applied online with about a 720 score. I was instantly approved for $5000. I noticed people with better scores than mine got turned down, but perhaps they don't have a good enough income to debt ratio. Then I also went to a bank branch to open a Checking Acct to take advantage of the extra 10% cash transfer bonus.
If you are like me and only like Cash Back cards, this is a must have.
First, the phone app is so much better than other bank apps (I also have Wells Fargo and Citi). The app has the fingerprint sign-in which is very neat.
I originally got this card with the intent of only using it as my gas card, and I still do, but then I discovered the Special Offers section on the app. Here, I sign up for several awesome deals. My favorite is getting 5% Cash Back on my Starbucks coffee. There's 10% at Autozone. And many more awesome offers to sign up for. Soooo, now it isn't just a gas card anymore. Discover card has something similar, but only good for online store offers, not in store offers.
This card does not have all the small benefits that my other 2 cards have like extends product warrantees, price protection, and product buy back and more. So I suggest you only use this card for gas and consumables.

If you are a Cash Back junky like me the 3 best cards to have in your collection are these: Discover It, Citi Double Cash, and this one. Please avoid the American Express Blue at all cost, absolutely the worst card from a dying company.

I use this Bank of America card for gas and special offers. I use Discover it for their 5% on quarterly deals (currently it's 5% on gas, so it's my current gas card), and for large purchases I need extra protection on. I use my Citi Double Cash for 2% on everything else since the other 2 cards only offer 1% on everything else, so I get nothing less 2% cash back.

Sorry if I'm rambling, but hopefully this helps someone build confidence in this card. I don't suggest anyone use it as a "everything else" cash back card, get the Citi Double Cash. The app is nice and BofA Credit card department is very good, nothing like the treatment you get from the checking and savings account department.

Apr 24, 2015
BEWARE Cards from Bank of America!
Jennyreviewergirltx Cardholder

I recently decided to pay down my balance on my Platinum Bank of America Visa credit card that I've had since 2007. My available credit line was $3,500 and I had carried a balance on it for years that I was slowly paying off. I decided to make a $1,500 payment reducing what was owed on the card down to less than $800.

Guess what happened?

The very next day Bank of America did a "Periodic review of my credit" and decided to reduce my credit line down to $800!!! What's worse is they didn't even notify me!

When I questioned it customer service and the supervisor said that my credit wasn't good enough for the credit line I had. But I have the best credit I've had in years! They spun lines of BS and tried to tell me that the "periodic review" had nothing to do with me paying my card down and that they had no intention of fixing the issue, ever.

So what's really happening?

Bank of America is doing something known as "chasing the balance" in order to  increase their profits. Now if I don't make a large enough payment I'll be over my credit line and be subject to fees.

If I make to big of a payment they'll reduce my credit line even further!

If you want to be able to use your credit card and pay off the balance eventually, stay away from Bank of America!

-Unethical Business Practices.

-Lying Customer Service Center

-Terrible Treatment of Long Term Customers

BEWARE:  Stay clear of Bank of America Credit Cards!

Reviews (345)

Aug 30, 2016
Long approval and uninformed employees

Applied for this card in June and was instantly denied without explanation (despite 750+ credit score). Reapplied on August 8th and apparenlty my applictaion was frozen since it was a repeat within 90 days. I spoke with a rep last Wednesday, August 24th, to straighten this out. This rep said they will move my applictaion through approval and call me back in 1-2 days. It has been 6 days now and I heard nothing. I called back to customer service today, and was put on hold for a half hour. All I received were sorries and "I don't know how this happened". I was assured I would know status within 7-10 days. I was transferred to another department to have the card expedited and this department had no record of my application!! I hung up at this point since I was frustrated beyond belief. After calming down, I called back to speak with another rep. She told me that it was up to 30 days for approval!! I can't understand how anyone with my credit score and salary needs 30 days for approval and 7-10 days for notification. Bank of America needs to get their employees on the same page and approve people with good credit. Great way to lose customers.

Aug 27, 2016
fantastic
Anonymous Cardholder

got approved for 1000$ limit with no credit score as it is my first credit card, after 6 months applied for CLI & increased to $2500...very good interms of getting cash back and aswell it has 0 apr till 12 months from opening.

Aug 27, 2016
All about the profit. AVOID.
Anonymous Cardholder

Bank of America will ding your credit in a heartbeat and lower your score. They play games with payment dates and will wait to withdraw funds days after you approve them from your bank. If you are late just one day they will report your late to credit bureaus and reduce your payment percentage. This card has lowered my 100% payment rating t0 75%! I just paid the entire balance, and magically a $9.00 charge showed up from LAST WEEK. I just approved that payment and when it shows zero I am going to dump this card. Capital One has the best cards of all.

Aug 19, 2016
Simple Rewards Card!
JuanMunoz00 Cardholder

I applied for this card because I mostly fill up on gas at Costco which unfortunately no longer takes American Express. The Costco Anywhere card from Citi offers 4% but it's a pretty difficult card to qualify for, or so I've been told. This one offers 3% and CK showed me my odds as GOOD. I really dislike Bank of America, I believe they have slow and inefficient customer service but I'm hoping that I won't have to contact them. I applied online and got an instant decision for only 1k. My credit history is short, since I'm only 19 going into my second year of college. The only things I have are a secured card with $600, a personal loan of $500,an AMEX Premier Gold Rewards Card with NPSL and at the same time opened a Discover It Student card with 1k plus my income is only 19k. Credit Karma lists my scores at TU 711 and EQ at 717. The notices that came with the cards said TU 677 and Experian 711, so I'm unsure which is more accurate. Anyways don't be discouraged fellow college students with limited history, apply!

Aug 19, 2016
88TJS Cardholder

I LOVE Bank of America! I've been with them for 10 years aand I would never switch banks like not ever! I applied for this card with a CK approval odds of poor. Application was in review for a few days and then I got a call from the bank to verify security questions. Was approved with $1500 limit. TU 647 EQ 655. Whoop! I was recently approved for a chase freedom unlimited cc and target cc too so I thought when the app was in review it was going to be denied since I just applied for chase and target but I was wrong!

SavingsMax Cardholder

While it has good cash rewards for gas and wholesale clubs, I really don't like the limit. It is my lowest limit by far out of 6 credit cards. Bank Of America gave me a limit for only $500 when my next lowest limit is three times that and my highest limit is 30 times that at 15k. I use my Citi double cash card rather than this card for groceries since I get 2% cashback with both and my limit is more than 10 times as high. I like to stay below 10% utilization on every card in order to have the maximum credit benefits so using the citi double cash card for groceries is a no-brainer when considering 2% cashback with a decent limit versus 2% cashback with an extremely low limit.

Increasing the limit is also problematic. It requires a hard inquiry and over the course of the two years that I've had it the limit has never been increased despite the fact that I've never carried a balance, always paying on time in full and often paying in advance. I don't mind a soft inquiry, but would rather avoid a hard inquiry due to the fact that it gets on your credit report and lowers your credit score. The net impact is me often paying my card off early in order to stay below 10% and avoiding using it at grocery stores to limit its use.

It also means that I look forward to getting a better credit card for gas with both a higher limit and 5% cashback with the PenFed platinum cash rewards Visa or the Fort Knox Visa platinum. I would rather not get one of those for now because of the negative impact of new credit and another credit pull, but I am biding my time.

Aug 17, 2016
Alert! This Advertisement Is A Scam!

DO NOT apply for this card!  It is a "bait-and-switch" scheme that Bank of America is running right under the nose of CreditKarma!

I have very good credit with a Chapter 7 BK that is 7 yeras old with extensive re-established credit.  This card was STRONGLY recommended to me by CreditKarma according to the credit information that they have access to.  Still, Credit Karma is recommending this card.

I was denied completely and they (Bank of America) continues to hound me for "secured" cards where you have to deposit money into an account that is used as collateral.

Don't waste your time!  Don't nagatively impact your credit and please influence CreditKarma to stop allowing Bank of America from offering these scams.

In my opinion this is just another reason not to patronize Bank of America whatsoever!

Attention "Big Corporate" American companies: People remember these scams!

Aug 17, 2016

BOA is very conservative. If you read the reviews posted by members they will tell you that. Unless you have a 750+ you wont get it. On the other hand in some cases like with me they offered me a chance with a $99 deposit. I got a $500 CL and in 6 months I can get my $99 back and go unsecured.

Aug 17, 2016

Maybe your credit isn't as good as you think... They don't trust you and they have good reason to, considering you've already filed for bankruptcy once. The 300 collateral is refunded to you after one year or after you close your card. Maybe it's not them, maybe it's you

Aug 18, 2016

Considering that I already filed for bankruptcy? How dare you! If it wasn't for a psychotic ex-wife my credit would be perfect!

Aug 18, 2016

Obviously (like Yelp), BofA monitors this site (since it is so prominent) and posts propaganda posts like the ridiculous responses to my original post. Again, reasons NOT to do business with Bank of America.

Aug 15, 2016

I have a 750+ fico score and yet they turned me down. I will never deal with Bank of America. One of the worst banks in the country. I have a 10,000 card with US Bank and they approved me in a heartbeat. B of A will forever be the worlds worst company. Explains why they are one of the lowest in the stock market. I will never recommend B of A to anybody. Go US Bank.

Aug 16, 2016

Are you saying they're the worst bank in the country becuase they turned denied your application? Were they the lowest in the stock market before you applied? If they had approved you would you recommend them?

Aug 15, 2016
Decent rewards, good interest
tcflyerfan12 Cardholder

I have had this card for nearly five years, and it has treated me very well. The rewards system is pretty benefical for gas and BJs or ACME, but seeing as to how that is not my everyday expense, I do not feel that I am getting the most out of it, but I am working on it. The only thing I really don't like is the hard inquiry when you attempt to increase the available credit line...that really bothers me. Overall, pretty good card though.

Top Similar Cards