Question

creditbuild80

Will being an authorized user on someone else account hurt my score?
I have a high credit card utilization so my mom gave me permission to apply for a card in her name to transfer some of my balances to it. I added myself as an authorized user thinking since she is the primary user, it will only show up on her credit report and not mines but I just found out that it will show up on mines. So the question is: should I stay a user on her account which will add an account for me and also give me a higher credit limit, but keep my own debts, or remove myself and lose the account and limit, but get rid of my debts?

Most Helpful Response

It really depends on what your overall credit profile looks like. How many credit cards do you have on your reports? How much of the new card is being utilized? If the amount is over thirty percent, then it would not be a good idea to remain on the card. Generally the reason that people get added as an authorized user is to increase the "average age of accounts" by becoming an AU on someone's oldest card. Obviously this is a new account so instead of it increasing your "average age of accounts" it would decrease it. So the only beneficial thing here for you would be to lower your overall utilization across all cards and the account could help if you have very few accounts, but if you already have several accounts, it probably wouldn't help you much there.

_________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

I hope you really appreciate your mother doing this for you, it is very kind of her and puts her at a lot of risk. I hope you are determined to get the account in her name paid off as soon as possible and take responsibility of your finances.

creditbuild80

I currently have 5 credit cards that are specifically for college students so the limits are pretty low. My current utllization is at 37% and all my credit cards are literally only 3 months old but I do have a average age of about 2 years due to some old student loans. Thanks for your advice I think I will remove myself from my moms account so my debts will be on her account, which she is ok with. I do plan to pay her card and it will be easier to pay just one card instead of 5 different ones.