Why are current open dates appearing on very old closed accounts?
I am showing 4 collection accounts with relatively new "open" dates. However, all are for accounts that are 15 or more years old, and were closed at least 10 years ago. Ex. a cable bill for an account closed in 2003, is showing opened in 2010, when the account was actually opened in 1992. I have actually received a collections letter on another account and it states we cannot sue you for this debt because the statue of limitations has expired, so they are acknowledging it is an old account that has been closed at least 7 1/2 years, yet on my credit report it is showing the account was opened in 2011.

I thought items fell off your credit report after a certain period of time.