Question

Joebird9187

Taking my name off an auto loan
Is there any other way to have my name taken off an auto loan, other than refinancing it? My ex wife has the vehicle, I have zero access to it, haven't been helping her pay for it, and she's delinquent in making the payments. Last I knew, it was $1500 in the hole, and it's obviously affecting my credit.

No. It has to be refinanced. 

Was there a court order granting her the car and the debt/payments to the car?  if so, consult your attorney have the court force her to take the steps to have honor the agreement.   Otherwise, if you name is on the loan, the debt is equally yours along with the bad credit she is generating.  To salvage your credit, you could offer to help her with the past amount paid if she refinances to remove your name. This will help you moving forward, however the negative affect on your credit will remain on your credit.

You're stuck!

I had a similar situation with an ex-husband. Thank God he was never late and he paid off the car. I did contact the lender to get my name taken off the loan and I was told that he had to find someone else to co-sign the loan for him to get my name off. The lender said that, even though I had proof that the car had been given to him in the divorce, as long as he didn't get another co-signer, I was stuck with it. They said that on the bright side, he was making all the payments on time and that was helping my credit. When he paid it off, he had to wait a few weeks for the lender to send him the title, then I had to meet him at the License Branch and sign the title over to him to remove my name. I did ask the lender what would happen if he defaulted on the loan and they said that they would have to come after me and make me pay. As long as my name was on the loan, I was just as responsible for the payments as he was.