sold debit creates duplicates on credit report
a few years ago I got a cap one card and like the stupid college kid I was I ran it up and it got charged off. The sold the debt to another company and now both are listed on my credit report. My first question is if I can dispute it because it is the same credit and same account and it only needs to be on there once and if so how do I dispute it?

Because I am an SC resident and it has been over 3 years they can't come after me for the money unless I make contact first but it will still stay on my report for 7 years (which is another 2.5 years) if I dispute the item will that activate the account again?

I am trying to repair/build my credit so I can buy a house. I qualify for a VA loan but I still want to clean up my report some. Any advice is really appreciated :)