Question

GreatGreens

So I just got a response back from a pay to delete letter that I've sent to a collections agency:
This is the form I sent:
This letter is to inform you that the validity of this debt is disputed. I am unaware of this account and have no verification this debt is mine. I only know of this account based on it being reported in my credit report(s). As we both know, I have the right to dispute this account, request for verification, and/or request for validation of this debt. However, in order to quickly resolve this account, I am willing to pay $________, if you agree to delete this account from any and all credit reporting agencies. Please do not quote to me that you are unable to do this, I am aware of both your rights as well as my own. We both know you are the source reporting this account and have the absolute right to report it, not report it, or delete it from all reporting agencies. The purpose of this settlement is merely to have this item removed from all reporting agencies. We are both aware that paying this unverified debt is no benefit to me unless we can agree on the terms. I am sure you are aware that paying a collection account does not bode well on a credit report and that merely having a collection on a credit report will have a negative impact whether paid or unpaid.

Please Note: This is not an acknowledgment of liability for this debt in any way or form. If there is any confusion about my position on this alleged debt, please refer back to the first paragraph of this letter in which I state: "I am unaware of this account..." That being said, let me be clear, this is NOT: a promise to pay, a renewal, an admittance to this debt, or in any way me agreeing this debt is mine. This is a restricted offer only.

If you agree to the terms and accept this agreement, I will send you certified funds immediately after I receive this signed agreement. The funds will be sent only if in exchange for it, you are agreeing to the terms set forth in this agreement and will be deleting this account from all reporting agencies (Equifax, Experian, TransUnion). This debt will be considered satisfied, there will be nothing more owed, nothing further to collect, and you will consider this a closed, satisfied account. Again, ALL references regarding this account must be deleted from ALL reporting agencies. Since certified funds will be used for payment, ALL information about this account WILL be removed from all reporting agencies within 15 calendar days of receiving the funds.

(Collection Agency Name) agrees to delete ALL information regarding this account from ALL credit reporting agencies WITHIN FIFTEEN (15) CALENDAR DAYS following receipt of payment as specified above and will not discuss the terms of this settlement with anyone, for any reason, excluding your client on this account. If contacted by any third party, including credit reporting agencies, (Collection Agency Name) will not acknowledge that any settlement offer was made, accepted, offered, or executed and will deny knowledge of any such account.

If you agree to the above terms, please sign (by an authorized representative of (Collection Agency Name) this agreement below, print (clearly) the name of that signature, and provide the position held by the one signing this agreement. It will be implied that this letter shall constitute a legally binding contract, enforceable under federal, state, and local laws. Please also include with this signed agreement a company letterhead stating you received and agree to this restricted offer and the terms set forth within it.

Your response must be postmarked no later then 15 Days from your receipt of this settlement/agreement offer OR this offer will be withdrawn and I will request full validation of this alleged debt, as allowed by the Fair Debt Collection Practices Act. If you decide to decline this offer, and begin calling about this alleged debt, expect the next letter from me to be a Cease and Desist letter, attached with it, a request for Full Validation. Thank you for your time.

______________________________

Signature

______________________________

Print Name of the above signature

______________________________

Title or Position held

______________________________

Date

Please send this agreement, your company letterhead agreement and all other correspondence regarding this account to:

Your Name

Your Address

End of Template

They responded back saying "we've reviewed your dispute and find the dispute lacking in any specific facts which would allow us to conduct an investigation? My credit report now has a note next to the collections stating "we've requested consumer agencies report it as disputed and verified it meets FCRA requirements. Should I send another pay to delete letter? A request for validation??

Send both. I really like the letter that you sent them, I am really surprised that you didn't have success with it. Very well written. Keep trying and don't give up hope.

Honestly, they probably don't even read those ridiculous internet template letters--I'm sure they get thousands of them. Cut and paste the dollar amounts and you're good to go!
One line in the letter stood out to me:  "We both know you are the source reporting this account and have the absolute right to report it, not report it, or delete it from all reporting agencies." 

That's a stretch. NOT reporting ACCURATE information because of a pay to delete agreement violates the agreement between the collector and the bureaus, and puts them in danger of having their contracts cancelled. Although legal, this is not a legitimate or ethical business practice, and consumers should not expect it to work in the majority of cases. 

If this debt of yours is legitimate, let it age and fall off. 

If you were being honest and you really don't know anything about this debt except that it has mysteriously appeared on your credit report, good luck.