Question

scribe328

Should I get a car loan or pay off my credit cards?
Currently my credit score is pretty poor (upper 500s), and my credit card debt amounts to roughly $1,000. I'm 20 years old and in college, but I also work a minimum wage job ($7.25) 32 hours per week.

Obviously paying off my cards would help my credit, but another issue is that my current vehicle is falling apart. Simply put, I need a new one (a used new one, anyway). I found a good vehicle for $9,000, and my bank can do an $8,500 loan with a 16.9% interest rate for 60 months for a monthly fee of $212.

$212 is more than I anticipated, but I can't say I'm totally shocked. I was briefly unemployed recently and relied on credit to get by, and that impacted me negatively.

My question now is, should I go ahead and get the used car loan and make payments on that while I also pay off my credit cards, or should I focus on paying off my credit cards and then apply for a car loan? They're both technically doable, but I need someone's advice that isn't me talking to myself...you know?