Question

tumbleweed58

removing multiple hard inquiries for car loan
Car loan inquiries

How can I remove the several hard inquiries the car dealership caused me?

I purchased a new truck. Everything was great until I saw that they incurred to my account 8 hard inquiries. How can I dispute these? One dealership is showing 3 times the same day. They sent apps to several banks they use all the same day. Credit Karma now scores me with too many hard hits. Shows on credit reports as hard inquiries. Scored badly against us. How do we get it consolidated?
Aug 08, 2013 | Reply |

From Experian, it won't hurt your score

I had the same issue when purchasing a new car, but found this great article from Experian. Essentially mutliple hard inquiries within a short ammount of time (they said 14 days) will only be viewed as a single inquiry. However, they will show all inquiries on your credit report purely for historical purposes. I am not sure if Credit Karma knows this when calculating your score, but it is possible that it does not negatively affect your score nearly as much as CK says. 

http://www.experian.com/blogs/ask-experian/multiple-inquiries-when-shopping-for-an-car-loan/

This dropped my score BIG TIME

7 hard inquiries on one day while car shopping at the same dealership caused my EXCELLENT credit score to drop all the way to GOOD (60 points!). I am currently investigating this and it truly is a nightmare trying to reach TransUnion for help.

In general, hard hits made the SAME DAY do not count against you multiple times (at least, not to the score calculation from the actual credit bureaus).  They are grouped together into "one" for the sake of the score calculation.  This is done purposely to allow you to "shop around" for credit when doing things like purchasing a car or getting a mortgage for a house.

In other words, it probably really isn't as bad as it appears.  If you have 8 hard hits, but they were all done within a day or two while you were car shopping, then it really likely only means one or two actual hard hits in the real calculation.

The fact that this site might still show it as 8 for the grade is likely just a side-effect of how the grading system works and doesn't accurately reflect the actual number of hard hits when it comes to your real score calculation.

- John...

crystals2182

Im having the same issues. I went car shopping at 3 different dealerships and one ran my credit and I didnt know this and they didnt inform they were going to do this until  I got a notification from Credit Karma that I had 13 hard hits from them alone. In total I think I ended up with 30 from all three dealerships and I tried to get in contact with someone on the phone at Experian and that is nearly impossible. There has to be some type of forgiveness for this cause it dropped my credit score a lot. I know this cause all the denial letters that are coming in show my credit score and each one drops lower and lower and I did not have a super crappy score to begin with. Please help or point me in the direction to get help, I desperately need advise on this. One of the car dealerships said something about calling the credit bureaus but that is a nightmare.

This is really annoying

I took a pre-approved letter into the dealership that promised not to do a hard inquiry on my credit. The dealership then checked for a better interest rate with 8 different banks. So it added 8 hard inquiries to my credit. This shouldn't be allowed or easily disputable. 

Wish I would have read here first!!!

Just bought a new car a couple months ago and had the same issue. I got 7 hard inquiries in one day!!  Is there a way to remove them? they say it doesnt hurt but thats not true. I was just declined a credit line increase from Capitol One and their reason was to many inquiries on my credit report. I had only 1 and now there is 8!!

Any ideas or help?

Credit Inquiries

I want to know why all of my past credit inquries (occurring over the span of 2 years) now all show up on the same date as when my credit score is updated. It is like saying i have had 29 inquiries all fall on today's date. Why is this? Go back to the originial method where you listed the date of the actual credit pull. It doesn't make sense now.

I have the same issue. The dealership, unbeknownst to me, shopped my rate when I told them about 50 times that I was pre-approved at an incredible rate and wanted to go with the bank of my choice. The finance manage assured me they'd use that bank, but lo and behold, I have 2 inquiries from different banks. I will have to pull my auto contract, but I don't remember seeing anything in there that gave them permission to shop other rates. How is this not fraudulent? Auto finance managers are the worst, but I digress. Any advice would be appreciated.

mikesett

I've worked in finance for the last 20 years, and pretty much know everything there is to know about credit.  I used to also do credit repair, etc. 

The bureaus are not going to help you (nor anyone on this thread for that matter), and that is because in their eyes these are "valid inquiries" at the moment.  Meaning you authorized them and consented to have your credit pulled by these people and institutions (no matter how many it may be). 

In your case however (and in many people's cases it seems on this same thread) you did NOT techinically consent to these credit pulls.  The dealership requested these credit pulls without your full knowledge and consent.  And the odds are they also did not have you sign a "blanket borrower authorization"  (giving them permission to do what they did)..Most dealerships do not use these kinds of authorization forms (if any of them do, which is very good for you)..

Therefore, you legally have two choices to have these inquiries removed (actually one real choice, but two avenues to explore):

Avenue 1) Go back to the dealership with proof that what they did damaged your credit significantly (The best would be to have a dated report from before their actions, and one directly after documenting the credit damage in black and white).  Armed with this evidence, explain that you did not consent to have them run your credit with the number of lenders they did, show them the damage, and demand that they take action on their part to remedy the situation. 

There probably will not be much they can do (because they did not actually run the credit, it was run by a third party), but make them sweat, and if need be you can sue them in civil court for the damages.  You may receive some financial compensation from the dealership for their unauthorized actions if you press hard enough, or you could very feasibly win in court.  This is one avenue to explore but it won't per say get these inquiries removed from your credit report.  That's step two:

Avenue 2)  What you have to do next after confronting the dealer, is contact each and every lender that the dealership submitted your application to, and question the validity of the inquiry.  You can call them and demand to know the origination of the inquiry and tell them you never applied to their instituion (which technically you did not). 

They will tell you at first that your application was submitted by XYZ dealership and ask if you dealt with them.  Your very truthful answer will be yes you dealt with them, but no they did not have the autorization to submit this credit inquiry application on your behalf.  The end result is going to be (90%) that they are going to tell you that the only way they can remove the inquiry  from your credit on their end, is going to be by sending you a form that you'll need to fill out and bring to a police station. 

This will be an "unauthorized" inquiry form or something along these lines depending on the lender.  Once you have this form you will have to bring it the police station filled out, and have the police record that you did not authorize this credit pull, etc.  They will then ask that once it's filled out, you send it back to them and they will remove the inquiry on their end.  This form will basically state that YOU did not make or authorize this credit pull (which you did not).  The police will be very understanding and helpful, and will gladly help you with the form.  There will likely be no questions asked.

Once you do this (with each lender that inquired without your consent), you can be very proactive and send these forms also into the credit bureaus yourself, as well as to the lender.  With each bureau that these inquiries popped up on, you will have dispute the inquiry, and then mail them proof (the police backed forms you'll have) - and then the bureaus will by law have to take the inquires off your report. 

So in a nutshell, in answer to your question, "How is this not fraudulent?" - Actually it is.  But it is up to you to do the leg work to hold the dealership accountable, and let the lenders know that the dealership acted without your authorization and therefore in a fraudulent manner (almost certainly for the potential of their own gain, by trying to get you approved with a lender they could make more money with on the back end when writing the loan). 

It is then also your responsibility to go to the police with the proper forms, and get the evidence to the bureaus and the lenders and have the situation rectified on your credit report.

hi

I have 40 hard credit checks on my credit from dealerships on my trans Union and 33on my equafax and they been on there for over 6months some for over a year . And it's effecting my score how do I have them removed 5percent each hard inquiry.

Hard hits

There seems to be an ongoing problem her. How to remove multiple hard hits if the don't hurt you score (Bs) should easily be removed. Loan officers look at that stuff that's why it is there. But they don't look at any other thing but the number of hits, not the content of the hits or dates. Car shopping at the same dealer drop my score by 40 points