Pay original creditor - must debt collection agency delete?
I pulled my reports and discovered an unpaid utility bill ($312) from a rental property I own. It was between tenants, and the bill was sent to a very dated address. The account went to a collection agency, which now appears on my reports.

I called the utility company, who said they could pull the account back from the collection agency so that I could pay them directly. My questions are:
- Will paying the original creditor then require the collection agency to delete the tradeline?
- How long should it take for that tradeline to be deleted, if the collection agency does it?
- If it's not deleted, should I contact the collection agency? Better to have the OC call them, or maybe dispute the tradeline through the agencies after paying the OC?
- What else should I do before sending payment to OC?

Most Helpful Response

Paying the original creditor does not require the colleciton account to be removed, it only requires the collection account to be marked as paid

It may take up to a month for it to be deleted, maybe slightly longer or shorter

If it is not deleted, contact the original creditor and remind them that they agreed to remove the collection account from your reports. If that doesn't work, then contact the collection company or dispute it. If all else fails, threaten to sue the original creditor for violating the agreement they had with you and report them to the BBB and other authorities.

The only other thing that you should do before submitting payment is to try to get the original creditor to agree to the terms of the agreement in writing. Maybe email them to get an emailed response from them saying that they will delete the account in exchange for your payment, or try to record a phone call with them agreeing or have them mail you something. They may be unwilling to mail you an agreement, so if need be just take the verbal agreement and hope that all goes well. Just be careful not to offend them in any way because they do not have to remove the account for your payment if they do not want to agree to do so. Good luck with this.