Question

chhabra496

New Auto Loan - pay off credit or installment loan?
So I've got about $2700 on a credit card and $3500 on a personal loan outstanding. This month I can pay off one or the other completely.

To obtain a new car loan from Mercedes (~50k) which would be better? The score cruncher says my score will go from 675 to ~740 if I eliminate the credit card balance.

Also should say I've got about 50k in other debt (another auto loan, couple installment loans).

Income won't be an issue in terms of DTI (~175k).

Whatever you do, keep in mind that paying off and closing accounts usually results in a score decrease, so you may not want to pay the loan completely off. Carrying a zero balance and showing no revolving activity will also cause a score to decrease. So whatever you do, for scoring purposes, I would pay nothing to zero. Credit card utilization has more of an impact on Fico scores, so if the card is over 10% utilization of the credit line, you may want to tackle that, you should also look at the utilization of the loan you are considering paying off, while it doesn't affect scoring as much as revolving credit, it still has an impact.