Need to bring 550(student loans) to 620+ in 6 months... am I taking right steps?
Current credit is 555.
25 years old. Some issues with student loan payments that have really impacted me but they are now resolved.
Looking to buy my first home but need credit of 620 for most lenders.

Current Lines:
Had Costco AMEX Card since 2005, $15k limit went over 30% utilization some months but never missed a payment. Had to close that down because of Costco shifting to Citi cards. Expecting a big hit on my average age of credit.
Opened up a new Amex in April with $15,000K Credit Line
Opened up a new Journey Citigroup card with $3,000K Credit Line yesterday.
Opened up a Target RED Card with $300 Credit Line today.
I have no other debt other than my student loans. Have never been behind on any payments other than them. Own my car.

My biggest issue is with my student loan payments. Graduated in 2013. Won't go deep into why I had issues paying for it but since 2013 I've had 10 missed payments.

I have a 90/120/120/120 from August 2014 to November 2014 and 90/120/120/120/120 September 2015 - February 2016. I made payments and/or was on deferrment on January 2013-June 2014 and made payments during the other time frame as well.
I've tried a goodwill letter to Great Lakes but not anticipating that they will approve it.

1. I have made my first auto-payment on my student loans and will continue to do so. How many points can I expect my score to go up in 6 months?
2. I plan on buying groceries with Target card, pay bills with the citi and purchases with the amex. Will card usage help with my payment history significantly or am I just wasting time?
3. Is there anything else I can do to help me bring my credit up? I've thought about opening up another credit card but not sure if that would help much.

What else can I do in the meantime to increase my credit or is the only thing that I can do now is to wait and get my payment history back up?

It might just be typos, you are 25 years old but yet, you have Costco AmEx for 11 years?... Despite having score of 555, tho not sure what score models is that, but you were able to get AmEx card for 15k just last months? You got to have more than 10 missing payments, because you can't be 90 days late without being 60 days and 30 days late first. Either way, not really important at this point.

Now it's just me saying here and surely, I can be completely wrong, however, with such delinquencies and that recently, if those are on your report as such? Then regardless what your scores might be, there is very little to no chance of getting mortgage anytime soon, unless somehow lenders discounting student loans' history.