Question

hobsie4

My Credit score is a 675 and I have applied for 2 credit cards and can not get apporval . Why ?
I have recently gotten divorced and all the accounts where in his name and now I can not get a credit card to save my life can you help me understand why?

Most Helpful Response

FYI - following yanks27 is a recipe for financial disaster.

Here's a reality check.  You need credit.  Period.  You can't avoid having it.  Employers are screening credit reports, as are insurance agents, rental property managers, and some regular banks.  Ironically, having little-to-no credit is a red flag for these screeners because they feel as though they have no way to assess what kind of a risk you are to them.

Been there and I agree with nandog Orchard bank will let you open a secure card to rebuild your credit.

Problem with orchard bank is they DO NOT raise your limits or convert you to unsecure - EVER.

You can add more money by making a deposit to a savings account but that's about it.

Bank of america also offers secure cards which then convert to unsecure after you've proven worthy of it.

Good luck! 

I had a 654 and applied for a chase freedom card and was instantly approved.  It was a credit card recommended to me by credit karma.  High interest rate, but I pay it off each month.  In addition to credit score, it also depends on your income and your past payment history, IMHO.  I hope this helps! 

make sure you have a bank account...i didnt get approved for 2 cards because of this reason..2 months later i opened a bank account and got approved for both credit cards i perviously applied for ..credit score and everything else on my report were the same

How did you find out you did not get approved? Did you receive a letter in the postal mail, or was the determination online? If you get a postal letter, it will say why you were denied. A credit score is not that useful in understanding why. Someone could have a higher credit score and still get denied cards.

What is an unsecure card? That doesn't sound good...

Orchard Bank.  If you can't get the unsecured card then get a secured card.  Good Luck.

Establishing a credit score is extremely overrated. The best credit card is the one you never have to use or pay interest interest on. Most people think the world is run by their credit score, and Its is a huge farce. The best way is to apply for all of them, even the ones with high interest rates. If you have a good financial plan, you will never pay interest on a credit card anyway. If you need to rob from Peter to pay Paul, then the interest rate matters. Make sure you have cash on hand to purchase items, and you mentality towards credit cards will change. Keep in mind that because of credit cards & debit cards, the consumer pays allot more for goods and services. All of the fees charged to who we purchase from is passed on to the consumer. Forget about applying for credit cards. Start saving money, so you can pay for things in cash. Cash ??? HMMM What a novel idea.

You will sleep better at night for the rest of your life.