Question

mlaurie01

Medical Bills effecting credit
My ex-wife openly admits that she won't pay her half of our children's medical bills. I still pay my half by finding the bills on my insurance website.
The kids are covered by my insurance policy but she ONLY lists herself as the Guarantor with all Dr's/hospitals. So will her choice to not pay effect my credit since they're on my insurance? Or not because she is the only guarantor?

She has done this multiple years in a row, and I've never seen any negative collections, but i don't know how long medical bills take to hit.

Page 1 of 1   Previous | Next

If she lists herself as the guarantor and signed the paperwork, and does not list your insurance (and as long as you yourself did not sign any of the paperwork), then she gets to eat the bills and the credit hits - full-stop. You would have seen a ton of issues by now if any thing other than that were the case, and I'm willing to bet that her credit report is a flaming dumpster fire right now as a result.
--

Now, if a doctor or hospital billing department does contact you, you have only to provide the insurance info and a contact number for that provider so the hospital can call the insurance company up and prove that the insurance carrier covered your kids at the time of the services rendered. You will likely still be liable for copays in such an instance, but it's otherwise much preferable to eating the full bill.

--

Not sure what she thought she would accomplish by pulling a stunt like that, but she's only hurting herself.

Page 1 of 1   Previous | Next