I've applied for a cc card, is it bad to get a secure card while I wait for response?
I got divorced a few years ago and later found out that my ex had done a lot of damage to my credit. He had apparently borrowed money in my name without my knowledge! He was supposed to pay for my medical bills when we got divorced but he never did. (He declared bankruptcy after we got divorced so I don’t know if he will ever pay those bills now!

My credit score here was 607 I haven’t checked it anywhere else. I have been getting a lot of “pre-approvals” in the mail for about 6 months. I was just going to keep my head down until I tried to get a credit card but suddenly it became necessary!

I need a cc for a trip. I’ve applied for one but it might take 7-10 days until I know. I did apply to one of the offers I had got. How bad would it be to apply for a secure credit card while I wait for a reply?

I haven’t had a credit card in many years but now I suddenly need one to rent a car since they changed their rules. Normally I would have waited until I got the reply but that isn’t an option.

I can probably wait a few days but then I need to apply for a secure card. But I don’t want to mess up my chances of getting a real credit card with applying for a secure one.

Would it be better to get a secure card from Open sky where they don’t check your credit? The bad thing with getting one from them is that they don’t have any unsecured cards so I would be stuck with paying $35 a year and keeping my money in their bank indefinitely unless I want to damage my credit and close the account
Any advice?